Is a super lens necessary for video mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Is a super lens necessary for video mode?

I'm just wondering if going whole hog for a great lens is going to make a difference in video mode.

I ask this because, while I love the organic, filmic look of the 7D video I've shot so far, especially where the subject fills a lot of the frame (such as interviews), I'm not blown away with the resolution. I haven't tried to make things sharper in the camera or post, and focus is tough with the tools and the larger apertures, so this could be part of the 'softness' I'm seeing.

I can understand if you want sharp stills, but I'm wondering, in video mode where the resolution is so, so much less, if it really makes a difference.

I can also understand that image stabilization is important, and that constant aperture and 'faster' lenses are better. But given a f2.8, parfocal, and constant aperture and IS, is the $2000 lens going to look appreciably better in VIDEO MODE than a $700 lens?
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

IMHO, a higher quality lens buys you two things: a bigger aperture for low light shooting, and less falloff in the corners. If you buy FF lenses for a 7D, that pretty much takes care of the falloff. It's a bigger issue on the 5D2.

If you shoot at f/4, a $1k+ f/1.2 lens doesn't really buy you anything - especially on the 7D. On the other hand, if you shoot video in a cathedral on a moonless night, an f/1.2 lens would make all the difference.

Lens sharpness - especially in video mode (low res, aliasing) - is overrated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD