Lens Recommendation for 7D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Yes, definitely get a UV filter for protection. For video, you might also want an ND filter. If you will shoot with the sky in the background, an ND Grad filter would be nice.

BTW, one lens not mentioned is the EF 135 f/2L. Canon EF 135mm f/2.0 L USM Lens Review

That lens would give a similar field of view on the 7D that the EF 200mm f/2.8L II gives on my 5D. The magnification of 0.19 is better than most primes.

One thing about macro lenses and video: my EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro has an extreme breathing effect. (Breathing is when you change focus and the lens appears to zoom.) I'm not sure about the L IS version, but I'd guess that it breathes a lot too. If you plan to do rack focus with video, this is important. For photos, it doesn't matter much as all.

I'd rank the breathing of my lenses as follows:

1) EF 28mm f/1.8 - some breathing, but not bad.
2) EF 200mm f/2.8L II - some breathing. Impressive for such a long lens.
3) EF 50mm f/1.4 - moderate breathing.
4) EF 85mm f/1.8 - moderate to strong breathing.
5) EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro - extreme breathing, if you go into the macro focus range.
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I'm just want to chime in here but has anyone tried the 50mm f1.8's there seems to be a bucket load around the UK for VERY cheap prices at present and I'm wondering if they be good for a cheap fast lens? E.G produce decent results for the price?
Andy Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Andy, we have at least one thread devoted to discussing that lens, see http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ttle-50mm.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD