Why would I chose the 7d over the 5d2? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 26th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #16
Major Player

Sold my 5DII for a 7D due to 25p.

Will switch back as soon as the 5DII gets 25p - I much prefer my prime lenses on a FF body.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #17
Wrangler

Guess this thread will have to be modified when the 1DMKIV comes out shortly...!
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #18
Trustee

Has anybody done scientific tests regarding the video image quality and sharpness of the 5D vs the 7D? I'm not talking about light sensitivity and noise. I'm talking about sharpness and general quality. I have seen some tests on vimeo but they are all subjective. Have you Charles?

About the 1DMKIV, since it costs almost the double of a 5D and almost 3 times a 7D and has the weird 1.3x crop I don't think it will be as popular as the 5D and 7D. It seems the only advantage is low light but the 5D is already pretty good at that.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

There's nothing weird about the 1.3x crop factor of APS-H sensors; they've been around for a decade at least.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #20
Trustee

Sure Chris. What I meant is the 5D is full frame and we have full frame lenses out there and the 7D is basically the same size a 35mm movie film so you can use cine lenses with it and there are EF-S 1.6x crop lenses available too. Now the 1D is in between and although the full frame lenses will work on it there are no 1.3x lenses, the cinema lenses will most likely not cover it and the EF-S lenses for sure won't. This is what I meant. So when you consider all that and the fact that the 1D costs a lot more and the only advantage seems to be the low light, I think it will not be as popular as the 5D or the 7D for video acquisition.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I have both a 5D Mk II and the 7D. My goto is the 5D. I like the full sensor and especially the low light. I can't see going to the new 1D, except for I may like the low light.

That all being said, after looking at my family video shot this weekend for turkeyday and a dual family birthday, lots of my video sucks cause of all the flash bulbs going off.

I'm probably going to take my HV20 along next time as there is no work around to the flashes going out when your shooting video with these cameras.

I like the imagery and lens choices when it's right on the 5D, but so many times, the gotchas ruin the shooting. When I get down I just look at the photo's from the 5D which are outstanding, almost always. Choices, you get some good stuff and you lose some.
Jim Froom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #22
Inner Circle

One nice thing about the low noise of the 1D is that it will allow the most control over the DOF. Want shallow? Add an ND, shoot wide open, and avoid the soft corners of FF lenses. Want deep focus? Crank it up to 6400 ISO and shrink that aperture.

If the aliasing and skew are reduced, the 1D would have it all - aside from RAW, super slo-mo, and the Magic Lantern features.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD