Fader ND Affects Infinity Focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 20th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Fader ND Affects Infinity Focus

It's still a great product and well worth the investment, but it's worth noting that using the filter will affect infinity focus.

And guess what, the affect is "variable" - the more polarization you use the more it moves infinity. You can still get infinity focus but there's a little play at the end that drops if out of focus.
Old December 20th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #2
Major Player

I also found that the filter puts some vignetting at the top left and bottom right corners when you are using a lot of ND. Kind of like a graded vignette.

Still a very useful filter. I am wondering if the $400 Singh Ray filter does this?

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
It's still a great product and well worth the investment, but it's worth noting that using the filter will affect infinity focus.

And guess what, the affect is "variable" - the more polarization you use the more it moves infinity. You can still get infinity focus but there's a little play at the end that drops if out of focus.
Liam,

I just bought a Tiffen linear polarizer off ebay for $20 to stack with my Hoya CP for a variable ND. Would this be doing the same as the variable ND? Why does the polarizer affect infinity focus? I'd like to use a variable ND to shoot more wide open at 1/50 shutter speed, but would like to understand the concerns.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Dick, the Fader ND works really well, apart from two things, first, you can't fit a lens hood over the filter and secondly, it shifts the point of focus so you lose infinity. You can get to infinity but there's a bit of play at the end of the focus ring that takes you away from infinity. It's a bit annoying, but not a deal breaker.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD