Photoshop and .CR2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Photoshop and .CR2

I shot my first 18MP raw with the 7d testing for time laps and Photoshop won't recognize the IMG_xxxx.CR2 files. What am I missing? As you can see raw is new to me.
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Which version of Photoshop are you using? CS4 is the only one that can pull in the 7D Raw files without DNG conversion (at least that's what my experience was). I think you still need to update Adobe Camera Raw to a newer version than what CS4 ships with as well. That's a free update from Adobe, and using the Adobe Updater will grab it for you.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yikes I have to buy CS4. I have CS3, Photoshop 10.0.1. That is a expensive upgrade did not see that coming.
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Use Canon's Zoom Browser and Digital Photo Professional. They come free with the camera. Once you adjust the RAW image, export to 16-bit TIFF for further editing. Keep it full scale. Edit in Photoshop. Scale to the final resolution and save an 8-bit TIFF for printing - or an 8-bit JPEG/PNG/GIF for the web.
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Jon that is better.
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Trustee

The other option is to get Adobe's DNG converter, its also free from Adobe and converts your RAW file to RAW files CS3 can use. Works great.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:21 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Chuck that it what I was looking for it keep it raw.

When shooting stills I am shooting 18MP raw and Med jpg at the same time which is a nice feature. The DNG Converter will let me play with raw in photoshop which is perfect.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Paul, sorry. I mentioned DNG Conversion quickly in my original response but didn't make clear what it is for. It will allow you to open your files in RAW on CS3, it's what I had to use for a while. You have to run your files through the converter before being able to use them, and it creates a new file while leaving the original file intact.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:28 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys,

I will look into all the options today if I can make some free time prior to holiday travel tomorrow.

Battery handle, extra batteries, and remote controller arrived yesterday so time laps coming.

Nice to have a high quality DSLR in the kit bag for time laps, video clips, and just high quality stills.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Nice to have a high quality DSLR in the kit bag for time laps, video clips, and just high quality stills.
Another option you might want to consider is DxO Labs - Home .

I've been working with DxO Optics Pro 6 for stills recently and the results with .CR2 have been excellent, better than with either Canon's DPP or Adobe ACR.

If you're not familiar with Optics Pro, they pre-characterize every camera and lens combination and then correct for all the distortions automatically. Now with version 6 their RAW conversion is also excellent. I'm finding the conversions at high ISO to be outstanding.

My workflow is to batch process with Optics Pro to 16 bit TIFFs - then a simple export to Photoshop for final tweeks and cropping.

The 7D works with the Standard version and there is a special deal until the end of the year for $100. 5DMkII users will need to spring for the Elite version at $200.

Last edited by Charles W. Hull; December 23rd, 2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I second on Charles recommendation for DXO... thats a great deal at $100 if you shoot stills
and want them to look their best...

The program takes a little time to get used to it, but the end result is just fantastic....

and after you convert the RAW pictures then you can bring them into your Photoshop to
further the post process.. so its much cheaper to go with DXO and photoshop cs3
vs upgrading to photoshop cs4 just so you can work your RAW 7D photos...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Charles, Ray,

Seem you both think DXO is worth the money I will look at it in detail on Monday and decide. I am away but the deal is till the end of the year.

Is there a way to touch stills for time laps in DXO prior to Final Cut or After Effects?

Appreciate the help.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Is there a way to touch stills for time laps in DXO prior to Final Cut or After Effects?
Sure, that would work fine; just batch process a series of .CR2 stills into JPEGs in another folder, and then inport the JPEGs into the video editor. The only issue is that the conversion is slow compared to other programs because it is also doing all the image corrections, so you will wait a while for processing. Sort of like rendering video.

Also DxO is still on version 5 for MAC; version 6 will be a free upgrade in Q1 2010.

Last edited by Charles W. Hull; December 23rd, 2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typo
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD