Best workflow - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:44 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Jad, you have a Tokina? I am envious of you (in a nice way :) I've been on the waitlist for 2 months at B&H.
Mauricio DelaOrta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:04 AM   #17
Major Player

Mauricio, I got lucky and found one in person. It's well worth the wait!
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #18
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Hey guys
I just got my 7D and using EDIUS 5 on my 2 year old over clocked quad 3.2ghz PC ruining XP I can drop the raw 25p clips straight to the timeline and they play back realtime.:-)

Great for basic cuts but it runs about a frame or two slower once I add a title.
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten Engelien View Post
Yes, H.264 is problary not the best, but in this case,- it work better for me. Almost no delay in clips when I edit.

Large:
http://i46.tinypic.com/1e5gsl.jpg

And here is Perrone Fords solution with the DNxHD file :

" File, Export to Quicktime

Choose Avid DNxHD.

Click Options button

Color levels RGB

Click the tiny sliver of a box at the bottom of the window (this is a bug). It will allow you to select the bit rate for DNxHD. Select 1080/24p DNxHD 175 10-bit. Or select 1080/24p 115 8-bit. Experiment with both.

Hover over the Uncompressed selection and the OK button will appear. This is another bug. Click OK.

Set quality to 100%

Uncheck Interlaced Scaling

Select 1920x1080 unscaled

Click "Make Movie"
"
I tried both workflows, image looks the same, though I'd expect the Avid to hold up better in the NLE.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Well, I know this is a weird workflow.. But its works fine for me! No mincing(stuttering) when editing, and good colors. Isn't that what most uf us seek ?
Morten Engelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:51 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey Morten,
I was a DNxHD user, but the side by side you showed has really got me thinking. I tried writing to this for one of my files, and it played back pretty good in Vegas Pro. I am planning to use this for the rest of my files, but my question is; how does it hold up in editing when you have several clips at this codec? Does it work at a similar speed as just 1 file, or does it start to slow or stutter once there are a lot of files on the timeline? Thanks for the help!

Zach
Zachary Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:37 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks for beliving in my theories, hehe.
Im doing this edit right as we speak with 45 clips in H.264. I have not experienced any form of stuttering or slow speed when edit.
You can also save the files as 50% without any BIG lossless data. I tried convert the same file twice, but used 50% quality for last one,- I could not see the big difference. Files will go from 40MB to 10MG or less. That also helps when editing.. But of course, everyone wants the best quality possible, so it's up to you and your PC :)
Morten Engelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:46 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Good to know. I'll probably keep the files at full size since I'm editing a short for film festivals, so quality is the most important. This is just screwing with my mind that I'm writing the file to the same format it's shot natively, the files lose no visible quality, and are about the same size as the RAW files, but for some reason the new ones edit quite smoothly. One of those things you gotta see to believe! Thanks again!
Zachary Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio DelaOrta View Post
2. Transcode your footage. I normally use Cineform, but if you're on a budget, MPEGstreamclip + AvidDNXhd codec will work too (with less colorspace though)
I'm sorry, maybe this is a dumb question, but how do I get the avid codec?because I spent the better part of today using any and every codec mpegstreamclip offers, and none work on premiere.
I sometimes use canopus edius, and that at least seems to better accept different formats, but I'm not sure how theoutput works. Anybody use it?
Oh and also, what's the best put out format for HD? I have a job that will end up on a projector, and I don't want to screw it up... maybe two or three options I can give?

Last edited by Anna Clara; February 8th, 2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: forgot the last part
Anna Clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Clara View Post
I'm sorry, maybe this is a dumb question, but how do I get the avid codec?
Knowledge Base
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #26
New Boot

Thank you Perrone, shortly after I posted I realized that by googling I could probably get it.
So I did and installed it etc. Then I tried a conversion, first in avi, which didn't work, and then in mov, which played fine on quicktime and on the preview on premiere, but on the main timeline came out like colored dots, like that interference (don't know the name in english)...
Why oh why?
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Clara View Post
but on the main timeline came out like colored dots, like that interference (don't know the name in english)...
Why oh why?
Can you post a picture or screen shot?
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #28
New Boot

Here it is.
It's CS3 though, I'm installing CS4 later this afternoon...
Any thoughts on why?
Oh, and I did try to render the work area, but of course wouldn't and it would tell me unknown error.
If somebody has any ideas on how to proceed for the final output on Canopus, that is fine for me, it seems like Edius is less "picky" than Premiere on which formats it accepts.

Old February 10th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Yes, I've seen this before.

Can you do a screenshot of SPECIFICALLY what settings you used to encode the .MOV file? A screenshot of that would be terrific and very helpful.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #30
New Boot

Here you go...let me know your thoughts... meanwhile I'm installing CS4 and hoping for better luck with that...
Anna Clara is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD