External monitor suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 26th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Major Player

External monitor suggestions?

I got my T2i in today and have been playing around with it. I've been using the LCD on the camera and what I've found is that I've been able to nail focus pretty well just with it, but what I get absolutely no sense of is how much noise might be in the shot. Stuff that looks great on the tiny LCD looks like trash once I pull it into the computer and look at it full screen.

Part of this is probably just going to be getting used to what a particular ISO looks like in particular lighting, but I'm thinking a good external LCD monitor would help see more of a legit picture.

Any thoughts on this? Recommendations for a monitor?
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Trustee

My T2i will be here on Monday and I will do a thorough checkout with my SmallHD DP1. If it does what it should...that would be my recommendation. I can't live without the DP1 when using my HMC-150. I've started corrupting all the camera-ops around here who have seen it in action. They all want one! It really is that good...and a bargain for what you get.
Old February 27th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

@Robert Turchick:

DP1 and T2i will be my choice too. ;)

Please let us know how it works together - especily if T2i allows HD-Out during recording.

Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you are on a tight budget a non-HD HDMI monitor like the Lilliput 7" or 8" or is a lot cheaper than the SmallHD DP1 LILLIPUT 619,619AH,619AHT,619AHT,819AH,819AHT HDMI LCD Monitor,LILLIPUT 7 HDMI,LILLIPUT 7 lcd touch screen,liliput 669GL-70NP/C/T,LILLIPUT 669GL-70NP/C,LILLIPUT 7 vga monitor
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Trustee

not knocking the cheaper monitors 'cause they do have their place...but remember why we all want a monitor, accurate focusing and color/exposure. Like a tripod choice, don't skimp on a monitor and you won't have to re-purchase later! ;)
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Personally, I think a monitor is for framing, focus - and setting the menus. You can't rely on a field monitor for exposure or color because of different lighting conditions. It's best to use light meters, histograms, an ExpoDisc for color balance, etc. On the 5D2, I like using Magic Lantern's zebras.

Given that, reliability, ruggedness, brightness, battery life, light weight and so on are more important than color and accurate levels (to a point). Heck, a black and white monitor could get the job done.
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #7
Trustee

I use those tools too. One of the nice things with the SmallHD is the hood makes lighting conditions consistent enough to check color and exposure!

Can you tell I really like my monitor? HaHa!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Trustee

OK...I posted this in another thread but I'll repeat it here since it was asked here too.
The T2i will feed a 1080i signal UNTIL YOU PRESS RECORD. Then It switches the output to 480p.
I still found it easier to focus using the DP1 than the LCD and the image looks good. Though this confirms what most of us were fearing. No 1080 out during record.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD