Canon 7d as good as 5d mk2? Cheapest place to buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon 7d as good as 5d mk2? Cheapest place to buy?

i am getting ready to buy a 7d and was going to shoot a wedding in HD with it, cause i dont have my new nx5 yet....

is the 7d good for that kind of work? also is it better or as good as the 5d mk2?

in the reviews below you will see that the 5d mk2 has a single digic 4 processor while as the 7d has a dual digic 4....

and the videos shot with the 7d look better to me at least....

any thoughts?

Comparing the Canon 5D Mark II, 7D and 50D Serious Amateur Photography

Canon EOS 7D vs EOS 5D Mark II - Side-by-Side ISO Comparison
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The real difference between the cameras is lens availability.

With the 5D2 you can use a 24/1.4L or the 28/1.8 and get a fast, wide view. With the 7D, if you want a wide view, you're looking at f/2.8 at the fastest - and many of those lenses are zooms, rather than primes. A 24mm lens is a 38mm equivalent on the 7D.
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The larger sensor gives the 5D an advantage in low light (although the 7D fares pretty good)

7D gives you 1080p24 and 720p60
Ethan Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The 5D2 will give you 1080p24 any day/week/month now. The jury is still out on 720p60.

Another difference is that Magic Lantern only works on the 5D2, for now...
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #5
Major Player

If you don't know the difference between a 5D or a 7D you shouldn't be shooting someone's wedding with one of these cameras.

These aren't camcorders that you can just switch on and press your auto everything button. Both cameras have huge issues for professional video work, but if you know how to work around those issues you can get some great looking shots.
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The 5D2 will give you 1080p24 any day/week/month now. The jury is still out on 720p60.

Another difference is that Magic Lantern only works on the 5D2, for now...
You can't claim Magic lantern is a benefit for the 5D if you can't say different frame rates are an advantage for the 7D. Magic lantern is being worked on for 7D, firmware update for the 5D is being worked on. Eventually they'll each have both, but for right now, it's something to consider. just imho
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #7
Trustee

I second what Liam says.
I've had my 7d for a few months now, and have it rigged out with just about everything I need. Still, the camera has issues and a learning curve if you use it for a fast paced, non- repeatable event like a wedding.

I've been shooting weddings for several years, and have been itching to use my 7d on these jobs. I've been using it conservatively, and have shot with it at about 6 weddings so far. I have plenty of out of focus footage from the first few, but it's getting better. What I've been doing is using it as a 2nd ( or 3rd) camera on the important shots, and alone for set up or beauty shots. I don't trust myself or the camera yet for anything really important by itself.

So I would advise you to forget the idea of using one of these as a primary camera at a wedding, untill you have lots of real life experience with it. You need to practice at at home, and at events where you can duplicate a 1st camera, or just experiment. Start shooting stuff that isn't crucial, and when you screw up, it won't make the bride go hysterical or the groom pissed off.
Good luck
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Bruce and Liam are offering excellent advice.

I own a 7d but use it as Bruce says as a 3rd or 4th camera on my shoots. Some of that is making sure you can NAIL the shot with the camera. My shoots are for clients so if I don't nail the shot I don't get re-hired. And to do that with the 7d takes a low motion locked camera shot for it to be up to snuff for my clients.

Is the 7d better then the 5d that is hard to quantify for me. I would love to have both but have been thinking of adding the MKIV instead. They are great cameras and only getting better. But to pull the 7d out of the box and use as a #1 on a paid shoot having never used one would lead to a very disappointed client.

IMHO the best way to go is rent one or both. Rental is worth every penny when you are not sure which one to buy. This lets you test gear by shooting what you want to shoot. Making changes and learning in the field. Abel in NYC has both for rent along with all the extras you might or might not need.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Lane View Post
You can't claim Magic lantern is a benefit for the 5D if you can't say different frame rates are an advantage for the 7D.
I was just mentioning Magic Lantern for completeness.
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I get that, Jon
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Major Player

I bought the 7D in November, used it as a backup on a few weddings. I shot my first 7D wedding on December 19 and use my Canon A1 just for the live ceremony. The only reason I use the A1 is because it can record more than 12 minutes at a time. I've shot about 6 weddings now with primarily using the 7d for everything but the main cam at the ceremony. I'm not sure why people are claiming the 7D should be a 2nd or 3rd camera at a wedding. The brides I had booked in 2010 before I had the 7D, are all now upgrading their package to my 7D.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Michael that is not what I was saying, and I don't think it is what Jon and Liam where saying. I was saying you can't buy the camera and having never shot with it go out and shoot a wedding and expect to get first rate professional results. You have to practice as you said you did for a month.

The reason I use the 7d as a 3rd or 4th camera is because it does fit my business as well as my XDCAM cameras, and will not do what my XDCAM PMW-350, Nano flash, Canon HJ17x lens, optical stabilizer, is capable of doing. But as I also said the Canon cameras are only getting better with each update, and that is why I shoot with the 7d and enjoy the results.

It is great that you have a business where you can use the 7d and shoot the whole job with the camera.
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Lane View Post
The larger sensor gives the 5D an advantage in low light
you could also say the opposite.. ie to shoot with a workable dof you need to stop down on a 5d

The Power of Focus | Hurlbut Visuals
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #14
Trustee

I agree with Liam. At least make sure that you are proficient at using the 5D or 7D in a variety of situations before you actually use it for a full-blown wedding.

I'd hate to think that a couple had unknowingly booked a 'pro' video guy to shoot their once-in-a-lifetime special day with his untried & untested equipment...
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #15
Trustee

Tony,
My sentiments exactly.
Here's an example of the pitfalls of depending on the 7d for a one chance shot, before having enough experience and accessories.

It was at the second wedding I did incorporating the 7d. At the end of the night, the b+g came out of the hotel, down the stairs, and through a gauntlet of guests holding sparklers. They then got into a 1947 Cadilac, which took them away. I positioned myself on the other side of the car, planning to shoot through the rear window, with them in the back seat., Now keep in mind that I had two ther guys shooting the scene, one with a Canon H1 with Frezzi, and the other with a Canon A1. So did I do the smart, safe thing and shoot their "once in a lifetime" entrance to the car with one of the Canons, guaranteeing sharp focus? Of course not. I had to be fancy and use my new toy, (before getting the Zacutoi z finder and tokina 11-16 lens). Result...my shot was soft focus. ( Thank god my girlfriend is the editor and will make it work and create their "dreamy" entrance :)).
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD