Manfrotto 561bhdv Question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 25th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Is it possible to do timelapse with the 561bhdv?

If not, what is the lightest monopod/tripod that will let me do timelapse with a 7D.

I'm tired of carrying my big Vinton with an SD22 head around (a monster!!)
John Mastrogiacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mastrogiacomo View Post
Is it possible to do timelapse with the 561bhdv?
No. The 561b is not a free standing monopod, it will fall over.

If you don't need the height, just about any table top tripod will do for timelapse. Sometimes I just use a beanbag and put the camera on a rock or other raised surface.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #18
Trustee

I bought the 562b ( thanks Liam) and used it shooting footage at my brothers' harness horse training farm in upstate NY . I am realy impressed by this rig, and used it for everything, since I didn't bring a tripod. Although I broiught salong my shoulder rig, i never used it. The 3 legs make all the difference in the world. I've never been happy with any monopod before, but plan to use this with my other cameras Canon H1 and A1) at any events where I need stabiliuty and the ability to be mobile.
I had my 7d, zacuto z finder, rails, an accessory bracket, and sometimes the Tascam 100 recorder and marshall monitor. I velcro'd the wireless receiver to the bracket and gaffer taped my shotgun to the side.Now all I need is to figure out where to hang a light.
I think I'll get a fliud head ( I agree Randy), because panning with the monopod is just not as smooth and controllable as I need. I did use it, and some pans were ok, while others were a bit jerkey.
What is the lightest, quality fluid head, I could us with this monopod? It is supportinhg a hefty rig and accessories.
Thanks
Bruce S. yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
This is the video monopod with head and small legs that's been reccomended by Dan Chung and Phil Bloom. In the specs, it says that the weight capacity is 8.8 lbs. I'm interested in it for my 7D rig, but with everything, the rig weighs more( almost 11 lbs).

I've got it mounted on a Mark's Photo 2 handle grip and a set of rails. the camera, one lens, rails, grip and ffocus weighs about 8 lbs. Add on the zoom, a monitor and battery, it's around 11 lbs.

Is anuone using it successfully with that much weight? Any other head options with the sticks ofr more weight?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
What is a Mark's Photo 2 handle grip??
Thanks
Norm
Norm Rehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #20
Trustee

I'm a little confused by this discussion too and have a couple of qustions.

1. Which head comes with the 561BHDV monopod?

2. I was under the impression that you used the fluid head more for tilting and the monorop enabled smoother panning, is this incorrect?

3. Part of my confusion is regarding the quick release plate, is it the same on the 561BHDV and the 562B?

4. And isn't that plate the MA577? The MA577 is the same plate that the 504HDV and 701HDV heads use.

5. Doesn't the 562B basically have the MA577 Quick Release Assembly bolted to it?

I have an extra 701HDV head that I was hoping to put on the Manfrotto 562B that should be easy enough to do right?

Sorry about this, but I find the way Manfrotto [or their distributors] describe and number things to be a little frustrating.

Thanks
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Panado View Post
I'm able to get much smoother pans as the 501 head is definitely better than the feet of the monopod when it comes to panning.
Not to take this off topic, but it is pretty funny when someone writes a sentence about smooth pans and includes the Bogen 501 head!!! Not the first choice in video heads when it comes to smooth pans.

OK, back on topic. I have this monopod and find it very hard to use with my 70-200 F4 L IS lens. I have to turn off the IS to make it half way usable.

I would be afraid to try to use this monopod with such a heavy payload at 11 lbs. I would think that it would be hard to keep steady.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #22
Trustee

Norm

http://www.marksphototools.com/

Ask for ark and tell him Bruce Yarock reccomended his products.

Chuck
I have the 562b, which is rated for a heavier load than the 561b. It came with a docking bay and plate that looks like the 577, but is wider. Therefore, nothing with the standard plate will lock in, so i took it off and replaced it with a standard 577.

Then I took a 501 head off of my glidetrack and tried it on the 562b. While you can get fairly decent pans with just the monopod, you get much smoother with a fluid head on top. You can also tilt with the head, and you can't with the 562 alone ( although you can tilt the whole pod in any direction).

All things considered, I'm rally happy with the 562b, mainly for its' mobility and ease of use.
Bruce S. Yarock
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #23
Trustee

Thanks Bruce.

I was hoping that the plate was the same so I could use it on other supports. As long as I can take it off and replace it with the 701HDV head i'll be OK. I have a 501 as well but I thought it was a bit big for a monopod.

I ordered the 562B and hope to get it this week.
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #24
Trustee

Chuck,
You can replace it with either head, or a 577 bay. The bay and plate that came with it are useless, because they don't match anything else.
Let me know if the 701 is enough, because it's lighter and a little cheaper than the 501, and I'd like to know before I buy another 501.
Bruce Yarock
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:28 PM   #25
Trustee

Hi Bruce, how'd your green screen go?

I just got the 562B, replaced the camera plate that came with it with a 701HDV head. I don't want to sound like a giddy T-ball player who just got his first base hit but this thing is cool.

Its a bit bigger and heavier than I thought it might be but it is solid and smooth. The 701HDV head isn't the greatest for panning but I locked it down and used the monopod for pans and the head for tilting with a 70-200 f4 IS lens and it worked great. I'm sure by now most of you have seen my airplane and car videos so you know I'm not the best camera person, so filter my feedback through those rose colored glasses, but I'm quite encouraged by this piece of equipment.

After taking the base plate off of the 562B I put it on my Manfrotto 501HDV tripod to mount my jib. The fact that its a bit bigger works great except for one minor setback, it doesn't pan. Doh, that sucks. Anyone have any suggestions how I might resolve this?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:49 AM   #26
Trustee

Chuck,
The green screen shoot wnt well ( I hope). I used 720 60i , but I won't know for sure if that was the right choice until we do the keying and editing. It's a wacky spoof commercial. and I'll post it when we're finished.

I took the 501 hdv head off of my glide track and tried it on the 562B. I really like it both for panning and tilting. It makes the thing heavier, but gives you solid slow panning, or you can lock it down and us the pod itself.

I did a shoot in upstate New York 2 weeks ago, and was really surprised that I was able to get the whole thing done with the 562b. I didn't have the head yet, and there was intermittent squeaking noise when I panne that was picked up on the rode mic. But otrher than that it worked fine.
And the beat goes on.
Bruce Yarock
Old May 28th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber View Post
Not to take this off topic, but it is pretty funny when someone writes a sentence about smooth pans and includes the Bogen 501 head!!! Not the first choice in video heads when it comes to smooth pans.

OK, back on topic. I have this monopod and find it very hard to use with my 70-200 F4 L IS lens. I have to turn off the IS to make it half way usable.

I would be afraid to try to use this monopod with such a heavy payload at 11 lbs. I would think that it would be hard to keep steady.

Daniel Weber
In comparison to the 561bhdv feet, it's as smooth as butter. An unfair comment if you have no idea what people are comparing things to. 501s are a huge step up if the person has just come from some cheapo tripod like a velbon or silk. Maybe not all of us have had such good fortune as to use $1,000 video fluid heads and have to "slum it" on our 501s. Care to mention your "first choice in video heads" for the same price range and bang for the buck? I'm definitely open to suggestions :).

I'm happy with the results I'm getting with my monopod AND shooting with the 70-200 f/4 IS lens on my 7D with the setup I have currently. I have also used allen wrenches to tighten up the ball joint on the foot much more as well as put a dab of WD40 using the pen, not the spray can. If you have a spare 501 lying around, I'd say at least try it for a few shots and see how you folks may like it. Maybe it's just my personal preference that likes the weight and way it performs on the 561bhdv monopod *shrugs*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
Norm

Then I took a 501 head off of my glidetrack and tried it on the 562b. While you can get fairly decent pans with just the monopod, you get much smoother with a fluid head on top. You can also tilt with the head, and you can't with the 562 alone ( although you can tilt the whole pod in any direction).

All things considered, I'm rally happy with the 562b, mainly for its' mobility and ease of use.
Bruce S. Yarock
Good to hear Bruce! Glad you tried it out :). I had a few fellow videographers/cinematographers think it was a bit over kill but they tried it and loved the setup as well.

Cheers.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #28
Trustee

Randy,
It's a great rig for the 7D. I wish I had it back when I was shooting a lot of weddings with my Canon H1....I could have moved around quickly with more stability than a shoulder rig.
Bruce Yarock
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #29
Major Player

Hey all.

Going to get one of the Monfrotto monopods but trying to decide which one. I will soon be receiving a Panasonic GH1 and will be using it with max the kit lens (14-140mm), zoom h4n, and possibly a microlight or a sennheiser wireless - so I'd guesstimate around 4 lbs total.

The 560B seems perfect but maybe a little too lightweight for the set up (if my guesswork's off). It also sounds as though the 561 is a lot sturdier and thus should give more stability. Correct?

The 561BHDV also seems great but a lot of you are saying the pan movement is not great. The Velbon head on the 562 is another option (the 701 head + 562 is a little pricey for my first investment in a monopod) but not sure how good the tilt/panning it on it.

That said, I'm not sure how much panning/tilting I'd be doing with a monopod in any case ... can't imagine it'd be that smooth regardless of the head.

I know it is unlikely, but can I use the camera plate from my Sachtler DV2 head (measures 2.4 x 1.8") on either the 561 or the Velbon head. I can't find the specs for the 501PL plate.

And finally, are you still enjoying the monopod?

Thanks.
Dave
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #30
Major Player

Still enjoying my monopod + 501 head combo. Happy with my pans and compound moves versus just tilting around with the monopod. A 701hdv head would be just as good if you don't want to source out a used 501.

If you're going to be shooting HDSLR, a good monopod setup will go a long way. Spend the money once and be happy with it. That's my advice. If you need bigger guns in the wedding event industry to give the a-okay, Mike Wong, Konrad Czystowski, Patrick Moreau, Bruce Patterson, and the list goes on all shoot with the same monopod (sans 501 head though). There's a reason why the 561bhdv is considered a "standard" piece of kit for event filmmakers as a general consensus, it does it's job well.

Cheers
Randy Panado is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD