7D on STEROIDS! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 17th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Major Player

7D on STEROIDS!

This is the rig we use when filming the The Santa Fe TV Show (when we don't use our EX1s).
Despite all the stuff hooked up to it, it's still farely light and comfortable.
It also goes from shoulder mount to regular tripod setup in less than a minute.

Enjoy!

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Attached Thumbnails
7D on STEROIDS!-7d_1.jpg   7D on STEROIDS!-7d_2.jpg  

7D on STEROIDS!-7d_3.jpg   7D on STEROIDS!-7d_9.jpg  

7D on STEROIDS!-7d_8.jpg   7D on STEROIDS!-7d_5.jpg  

7D on STEROIDS!-7d_6.jpg   7D on STEROIDS!-7d_4.jpg  

Last edited by Carlo Zanella; March 17th, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Very nice.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hey, Carlo............

You might want to list all that stuff (and prices thereof) you've bolted on, for the edification of the other users here, I'm sure they'd find it instructive.

Very impressive rig for a DSLR, BTW.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Major Player

7D Rig pricing and parts

"Hey, Carlo............

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might want to list all that stuff (and prices thereof) you've bolted on, for the edification of the other users here, I'm sure they'd find it instructive.

Very impressive rig for a DSLR, BTW.

CS "

Thank you Chris. I will do my best to price this out.

The carbon rails, top grip, base plate, "C" bar, and shoulder mount are from indifocus.com. We test a lot of stuff for them so I don't know exactly the price, but I think it's in the $350-$400 range (call Tim for accurate pricing).

The audio system in this setup is a G2 from Sennheiser, clamped on to a L shaped mount with 2 cold shoes on it (I adapted it myself and attached to one of the rod mounts of the shoulder rig). The recorder is a Marantz 661 24bit 96khz recorder. My background is audio, and I would suggest this recorder to anyone that wants great audio, whether is coming from a wireless system or a boom mike.

The monitor ia a cheap Lilliput 669. Nothing great, but enough for focusing and "seeing what your are doing". It's powered by the battery they sell at coollcd.com. I found the monitor on EBAY for $199 and the battery pack is about $60. Monitor hood is hand made ($5!...)

The matte box with french flag is a Chrosziel we bought a while ago for our EX-1s (about $1400). We adapted the side flaps from India (I don't think you need to spend top $ on side flaps...).

7D has a FF system from indifocus.com. Again, it's a new model they offer and I don't know the exact price. It's very smooth, very adjustable.

The 7D has a (non stabilized) Tamron 17-50 (about $400).

On top of the "C" bar I also have attached a Canon remote for timelapse (tc8-n3) - it does NOT activate video recording, it's just for timelapse photography (about $130 at BH)

The system is VERY versatile. It can also be attached to a tripod head with the quickrelease plate at the bottom. The front grips and the rear shoulder pad section can be detached in seconds. It's easy to carry the rig around as shown in the pictures I posted. It is also confortable on your shoulder and not too heavy.

Hope this helps.

Carlo Zanella
www.santafetvshow.com
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Major Player

The quality of your work shows through no matter what rig you have!
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you Jim, very nice compliment. But I always remind myself that I really owe a LOT of what I have learned over the years to THIS forum (and practice of course)!

Don't you feel that way too?? This is just a great place to learn and KEEP learning!

Carlo Zanella
www.santafetvshow.com
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Trustee

I've heard good things about the Marantz 661 (although yet to try one out myself). Worth a second look I think. Maybe the MARANTZ PMD620 would also be OK and looks to be smaller - anyone tried that model?
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #8
New Boot

What a great rig, and to think all of that gear is very affordable in comparison to a lot of the other rig manufacturers, I'm really blown away by how good it looks!
Lewis Parrish-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for posting Carlo.

I'm curious... is the Marantz much better than the Zoom H4n ? If so, what makes it better in your opinion. I'm buying a recorder soon and obviously want the best. Any thoughts anyone?
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Zanella View Post

The monitor ia a cheap Lilliput 669. Nothing great, but enough for focusing and "seeing what your are doing". It's powered by the battery they sell at coollcd.com. I found the monitor on EBAY for $199 and the battery pack is about $60. Monitor hood is hand made ($5!...)

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

If you would, tell me a little more about this monitor. I have been hearing about these lately. Is this a 7" or 9" monitor and what are the pros and cons of it from your opinion?
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
I've heard good things about the Marantz 661 (although yet to try one out myself). Worth a second look I think. Maybe the MARANTZ PMD620 would also be OK and looks to be smaller - anyone tried that model?
As I haven't tried the 620, it does NOT have XLR inputs. At that point I would probably go for the Zoom, if you want to stay at that price range.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bufkin View Post
If you would, tell me a little more about this monitor. I have been hearing about these lately. Is this a 7" or 9" monitor and what are the pros and cons of it from your opinion?
It is a 7" monitor. I like it because it's fairly small and not too heavy (well, with the battery it gets a little bit heavier...). The quality is OK, don't expect anything where you can judge your settings and color. It is good, as I said, for focusing and framing. There is no image squeeze (I had that experience with the Ikan 8000 2 years ago and it was $800 back then - I returned it). It is NOT that bright, so you lose detail in the shadows pretty quick, it is not as sharp as you would expect by connecting it through the HDMI out of the 7D (at that point I am not qualified to say if the problem is the source or the monitor).

However, ever since I bought it, working with the 7D has become much easier. So, in my opinion, that's what counts. Low angle shots now are possible and more creative filming is becoming easier, since you don't have to be at the camera level. Another cool thing is that, by switching the input (with the dedicated button in the front of the monitor), you can easily go back and forth between the Lilliput and the 7D display, when you are still checking WB, exposure, etc.

Not bad for about $260.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bazley View Post
Thanks for posting Carlo.

I'm curious... is the Marantz much better than the Zoom H4n ? If so, what makes it better in your opinion. I'm buying a recorder soon and obviously want the best. Any thoughts anyone?
I have never used the ZOOM. I looked at the specs and it looks it would do the job. As I said, I also run a recording studio, and the Marantz has worked GREAT for pretty much any application (from recording narration straight to it, to masters for music production). At this point, I would probably say that the main difference is going to be the mic preamps, and may be the dynamic range - I tried to see the DR of the Zoom but I could not find it anywhere.

For "audio for video" I think that the ZOOM is probably a very good choice. The Marantz is almost twice the price, your clients and my clients probably won't notice "twice the quality".

Build quality could be another important component, but I have never held the ZOOM so I can't tell. The Marantz is rock solid, but it comes at a price. A little off subject, for instance, the EX-1 has 90db of dynamic range, so, if you feed the camera a good signal,
you can get great audio out of the audio recorded straight into that camera.

But for the 7D, in my opinion, YOU NEED a double audio system!

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Parrish-Hills View Post
What a great rig, and to think all of that gear is very affordable in comparison to a lot of the other rig manufacturers, I'm really blown away by how good it looks!
Thank you! It does look good indeed.
I just think that when you pay top dollars for those expensive rigs you are probably shaving off some weight to the entire rig, but is that proportioned to a big price difference? We may all have different answers to that. All it counts to me is that the rig is practical, feels good on your shoulders, SOLID, and easy to take apart. As crews are getting smaller in this still harsh economy, when I purchase something, I always make sure that I don't need 2 or 3 people just to operate or put together gear, whether is a Jib of shoulder rig, or whatever. I can put that camera on and Indislider Pro from the shoulder rig configuration in less than a minute: now, that's easy! (without taking the rails, matte box, and FF off...).

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #15
Major Player

Nice... think I'll make it my new wallpaper. You've inspired to build up my 7D rig.

Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD