My 7D Rig So Far...Still Growing ~pics~ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 5th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #1
Major Player

My 7D Rig So Far...Still Growing ~pics~

Here is the rig so far, i ordered mostly cavision parts (great quality) and needed a dslr reversed support raiser, none were in...i got the "dv riser" reversed it myself...very easy to do...

i am also getting a local machine shop to replicate the riser from cavision (just the little "L" bracket) and make it an extra inch higher so that i can have more room to move...

heres some pics! still have the mattebox coming, accessory box, tascam dr-100, and maybe another lense here and there...

heres the pics!

Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Trustee

Very nice, you're on your way to a quality filmmaking rig!

I thought I'd post some pics of what I've done as well, perhaps we can have a sort of showroom somewhere for what people have done with their DSLRs.

So, here's what I've been up to in the pictures:

-7D body w/ 70-200mm Sigma
-Zacuto Z-Finder
-Rode NTG-3 Mic hooked into Zoom H4n via XLR
-Headphone splitter to feed audio from Zoom to headphones and into the camera for reference audio (still need to figure out how to get this working ALL the time)
-And my favorite, Genus GMB/A rod system w/ cinevate universal rod mount

I actually put the rod system on backwards, so instead of supporting the lens, it acts as a mount for the Zoom and other equipment. I've also found that if I mount the camera slightly off-axis to the Genus plate, I'm able to use the rods as a shoulder mount while still being able to see through the Z-Finder. I have 4 points of contact that way: hand on lens, hand on body, Z-Finder on eye and rods on shoulder (just like Zacuto says we should do it!). It works rather well in my opinion, as it gets rid of the jitters apparent in non-IS lenses. And, if I stop my heart for a few seconds I can actually get some steady shots with the 200mm zoom :)

Tripod is a bit weak for this setup: it's a stand-in as my proper one is in the car. I've yet to try the mounted blimp...

Last edited by Nate Haustein; April 5th, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
Nate Haustein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Major Player

that lense looks massive for 200mm...lol whats the specs on it? nice rig!! i am really diggin it!!

i think a "moderator" should change the title to "7d showoff rigs" or something!

i like your idea of a dedicated thread for it...

hey if i start a new thread, will you come in there and re-post your pics?

i think we should have one! and for discussions on how to make parts work and stuff...

let me know what you think...
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Trustee

Do it. I'll post again. It's the little intricate things that make these rigs work well.

Lens is a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM - and it IS massive!

How do you like your LCDVF? I was going to try one but I'm so in love with Phil Bloom that I went for the Zacuto.
Old April 5th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Contributor

That's about like my Cavision rig. I can't tell from your photos if the shoulder brace has the pivot extension like the one I got. That would probably be the only difference. Cavision equipment seems to be very well made and reasonably priced. I couldn't find the package listed at B&H, so I went to the Cavision site and copied the part numbers for the rods with reverse quick release mount, shoulder brace and handles, then entered those numbers at B&H and bought the three pieces. They usually list only the complete rigs, with LCD viewer and/or follow focus. I'll probably add the Cavision follow focus in a few months.

I really like the Cavision LCD viewer because it's got that big 52mm lens as well as the swingaway mount, but it doesn't have an adjustable diopter, which I needed.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Do it. I'll post again. It's the little intricate things that make these rigs work well.

Lens is a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM - and it IS massive!

How do you like your LCDVF? I was going to try one but I'm so in love with Phil Bloom that I went for the Zacuto.

alright i am making a new thread for it!! lol

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...arn-build.html

Last edited by Corey Benoit; April 5th, 2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #7
Major Player

Thats good lookin' stuff Corey. Looks like you got the essentials already. I figured I'd spend all my spare bucks on getting lenses first and then work on my rig too. I've already got Cinevate carbon rails, proteus base unit, and an older style Matte box so far. I absolutely Love the Cinevate DSLR Core package, also known as the "Dave Clement" rig. Thats the look and functionality I'm going for.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD