Patriot 16GB Class 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 12th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Patriot 16GB Class 10

Well I had the inevitable happen to me on Saturday. I was recording with my T2i and with the Card almost full I get a error 02 code. I remove the card to swap cards as I figured I'd recover the files when I get home and sure enough the card is hot. Didn't feel so good about that. Got home and immediately tried to recover files and the card is dead. No reader or device will read the card even to format it. I feel sick in the gut about it. There's about 12mins out of 40mins of important footage on the card and I have contacted Patriot about the situation as the card has a 5yr warranty. My question here is would it be possible that the heat from the camera killed the card? The card was pretty hot when I removed it from the camera. The filming was inside in a air condition location. Thanks everyone.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Oh NO!! That is horrible!!! I hope there is a way for you to find it back! :(
Daniel D. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

This is the 2nd Patriot hit. I am really pissed on them as you (even If I will never use one).
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Major Player

The thing though is I don't believe this is a Patriot hit yet. I want to put the blame on them but I think that the heat from the 550D maybe too much at times for any SD Cards. Till I can come to a good conclusion I'm going to use my 550D for only special jobs instead of moving them to Primary use.
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I can't believe that the heat is too much to burn a card.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Well it maybe that the card isn't as heat resistant as a Sandisk. I just don't know anything right now and am pretty frustrated that I lost 12mins of very important footage that I may not be able to recover. :'(
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Can't you reshoot this?
And this is an unkown info for me about Sandisks.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Nope. Can't be re-shot. I wish it could be. Just to be clear my problem is with this patriot card and not a sandisk one. I'm just nervous shooting with Patriots again for a while till I can pinpoint the possible cause. Thanks George for helping me think this through.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I think we need more months with the t2i in the field to really judge; my gut instinct would be it's that specific brand, which i never have heard great things about the way i hear great things about Transcend. I haven't experienced that, but I haven't pushed it in a real heavy situation. I guess factors like, how long was the camera running, what were the environmental conditions (lots of air flow? No air flow?) would factor into it. My transcends haven't shown this problem- at most, my camera show the little thermometer icon for a second or two and then goes away. But again, I haven't pushed the limits.

Either way, I know that pain and would buy you a beer if I could!
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I think it's not logical to have a card toasted because of a continuous 12 min capture.
I will buy a Verbatim or a Transcend or a Sandisk when I will buy my 550D next month.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #11
Major Player

Well make it a cappuccino as I don't drink ^_^

The camera was working all day. Prob off and on for 9hrs. From AC location to Outside in the heat. 80degree day. Back to AC location. Air flow was pretty good. There was lots of fog from a fog machine. I may need to just change to transcends but now I'm a little nervous because of this particular situation I guess. I may just have to wait till Panasonic ships their agf100 and just go that route as the cards will be in a better location away from the body heat the camcorder will generate.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

As you described it, it seems more like a war than a shooting.
And at war you should get the best weapons.
I mean I don't know if anything will handle those situations.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Major Player

Well my XHA1 handles it really well. ^_^ In all honesty the fog was for lighting effects which lasted 3minutes at times. The other 2 Patriot cards did fine but the third one I guess died. That's what I'm trying to figure out why it did. I am really bummed out right now.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #14
Regular Crew

You can't compare such different sizes. At least from the video's I have seen from 550D it has an outstanding image very close to 16mm film (in terms of color and resolution) and it looks a lot better than HDV. Now to produce something like that @45 mbit in a tiny camera this ain't easy at all. I mean the processor must really be on fire...
But was that this card the last one in the row. Have you used it again?
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #15
Major Player

George for me the two images are different. One is not better than the other but one maybe preferable to the other. I wanted to give the T2i a shot on this particular shoot because I wanted see what type of look it can give me, and also the ease of being tapeless. It was the 2nd card used out of the 3. I have tried using it again and the card is not readable, writable, & can't be formatted. Which leads me to my initial thought that the heat from the camera may have killed this particular card.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD