shooting weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 14th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Major Player

shooting weddings

so far I used the 7D on tripos to shoot bridal preparations and photo session but never for ceremony and reception.
I am looking for a rig that will be comfortable, steady and not
that expensive.
As well suggestion for light on camera for the 7D
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

A fellow wedding cinematographer recommended that I get a good monopod with fluid video head for weddings. I followed his counsel, and I gotta tell you, it's the best tool to have for wedding shoots. It can effectively replace your need for a tripod in about 90% of shooting scenarios, it's lightweight, sturdy, mobile... I'd say that a monopod should be support item numero uno.

Second on my list was something for movement/tracking shots. The same dude told me about using the Glidecam Pro 2000 (or 4000 for a few bucks more). It has a great gimbal, is small and easy to transport, and produces beautiful "steadicam" shots for a tiny fraction of the cost of a full stabilizer rig. $260 on bhphotovideo.com.

That's my current support setup for wedding shoots. I will sometimes bring a tripod to preparation shoots (i.e. love story interviews, getting hair done, etc.) and will eventually add a rail slider setup for my tripod to get really smooth dolly shots. But until then, those 2 rigs are more than sufficient.

One tip: Get a quick release base and plate for each support item you plan to use, especially if you end up getting the Glidecam Pro 2000. It will save you a lot of time switching from one rig to the next. eBay has some Manfrotto knock-offs for about $30 each. Just do a basic search.

Hope this helps! And good luck with the upcoming shoots.
Michael Winget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh, if you're looking to go super cheap, you can always build your own shoulder rig out of 1/2" PVC pipe. I found some plans online, then made my own version to hold my 7D and one to two other items (like my ZOOM, or an external monitor), and the whole thing cost me about $25-$30. I use my extra Glidecam weights to balance it out, but you could buy extra large washers and use those instead.

I'm planning to post some pics/plans here soon. I love shooting with it...and with some matte black spray paint and bike grips, it looks pretty legit. My clients love it, and that's always cool.
Michael Winget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Major Player

I got to use the 7d with a mono pod today at event that i had to shoot this morning.
I really liked the set up, it works great.

Now I need to add to it a viewfinder magnifier and LED light on camera.
Any suggestion?
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Another vote for the monopod setup. I'm primarily a wedding shooter as well and just can't see those big rigs everyone spends alot of money on being feasible for wedding type work. A monopod give you lots of versatility. For viewing the viewfinder.....I just use a simple pair of reading glasses. They don't look sexy but work well and you aren't confined to looking straight through an eyepiece. It gives you the ability to view the screen at multiple angles. I'm getting older and need reading glasses anyway. I just bought an extra strong pair only for use with the 7D. Works great.

Check out this article I wrote for EventDV magazine. Ray Roman, one of the best wedding film makers out there uses a monopod and tripod for the majority of his wedding shooting. He has lots of other goodies too from Cinevate and Steadicam but the majority of his footage is from a monopod or tripod and he is shooting the whole day with DSLRs.

EventDV.net: The Event Videographer's Resource
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Major Player

What Monopods are you guys using?
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I recently got to shoot a wedding with a colleague while on a family trip to Philadelphia. He had one of these and I was very impressed with it. I got some great shots with it for him. Make sure that whatever you get has a full fluid video head on it. You will be glad you have it. My older monopod I have been using for a few years doesn't and now that I have used one with a fluid head I appreciate it's value. If you can get one with the same removable mount as all your tripods it makes swapping between cams really easy.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618351-REG/Manfrotto_561BHDV_561BHDV_Video_Monopod_with.html

I recently reviewed this device for EventDV magazine. The review is slated for publication in the May issue. It is more than a monopod. It can be an impromptu tripod and for occasional use makes a pretty solid steadycam/glidecam type device. I got flying footage from it (with my A1) that was close to a glidecam quality, it has all the benefits of a good monopod and for light weight cameras makes a pretty dandy tripod for those times where you have to be really mobile. I used it yesterday shooting a trash the dress type video and it worked great for flying, as a monopod and when needed as a tripod. I used both the 7D and the A1 on it. The biggest pain for me was switching the tripod plate on the head between cameras. Other than that it worked quite well in all the different settings we were shooting in. I was using the $499 version. If you already have a tripod head laying around you are not using you could save some money and get it without the included head. It is a little pricier but can be more than a monopod in one device.

Barber Tech Video Products
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #8
Major Player

Philip, I read your article about Ray not using all the add on to the DSLR and that he use only mono pod and tripod. It seems that with his editing style he can effort that..
So far I did not have to use any Z finder for focusing during bridal preparation but for a ceremony and reception it is a must when you shoot documentary style.
Me my self shoot most of the time Israeli weddings which are very intense under the chuppah and there is no room for tripod and some time monopod could be not used as well. Lately I am shooting only hand held with the fx1000 during the ceremony.
As much as I think that monopod is great I still think that Z finder ( for refocus) and a good rig is a must for me. you can check this video and you will see what I am talking about. wedding at the diplomat By Dror Levi On ExposureRoom
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I've only done a few Jewish weddings here where I live and for the most part we weren't allowed that tight around the chuppah. I remember it can get pretty crowded in there and around it. If you are forced to shoot handheld because of the tight spaces then I agree zFinder or similar product would be real handy since it would give you a mount point against your eye to minimize shaky footage. The cam could then be operated very much like a regular video camera. For those situations it would be a good investment.

I don't get many of those type of scenarios so when I do I could probably squeeze a monopod in between people. Doing full handheld with a DSLR though you really need to make sure you have IS in your lens...it will help lots.

Most of my shooting with the 7D will be during prep and dancing where a monopod is no big deal. For the ceremony I am still using the A1 till I have can get the long lenses needed for the 7D. Then it will probably be a tripod for me. Those long lenses can be cumbersome on a monopod. My shots at a ceremony are the b-roll shots and I usually get to quietly roam the perimeter of the location so I am not forced to have some super long zoom for the shots I want.
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #10
Trustee

Dror, very nice work. I'm always amazed at how good wedding videographers are.

Here's the setup I use, very modular so you can break it down and use only as much of it as you need. I often remove the large shoulder brace and simply bolt the smaller shoulder pad [backwards] directly to the base and rest it on my chest. Works great.

http://www.daframegallery.com/7D2.jpg
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Chuck,
Thank you for the complements about the video.
I really liked your setup.
Could you tell me how stable you are with this setup. As you saw in the video, ceremony is very tight.
As well, could you tell me the brake down of all the parts.
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #12
Trustee

Here's the info:

The shoulder mount is from Shape and there are several models to choose from:
SPIDER II KIT

I have the Spider II, which has an adjustable camera platform. This is important for me because I also use this support with the EX1. If you don't need that then you save even more.

The LCD viewfinder is here:
LCD Viewfinder System for Sony HDR-TG1

The swing away support for the viewfinder is here:
LCD Viewfinder Plate Connection Piece with Swing Away Function

The Rod Support and Quick Release is here:
Cavision Rods Support System for Mini-DV with Quick Release - Reversed Version

The Matte Box is here:
PROAIM? Sunshade matte box For Wide angle lens dv cams - eBay (item 350329031637 end time Apr-14-10 21:07:16 PDT)

OK, this one requires a little explanation. I got this off of eBay, its a knockoff from India and it was so cheap, $240 that I thought I would take a chance on it. Out of everything that I ordered, it arrived first, the build quality is surprisingly good and it bolted up to everything else perfectly.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #13
New Boot

What mics is he using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hinkle View Post
Another vote for the monopod setup. I'm primarily a wedding shooter as well and just can't see those big rigs everyone spends alot of money on being feasible for wedding type work. A monopod give you lots of versatility. For viewing the viewfinder.....I just use a simple pair of reading glasses. They don't look sexy but work well and you aren't confined to looking straight through an eyepiece. It gives you the ability to view the screen at multiple angles. I'm getting older and need reading glasses anyway. I just bought an extra strong pair only for use with the 7D. Works great.

Check out this article I wrote for EventDV magazine. Ray Roman, one of the best wedding film makers out there uses a monopod and tripod for the majority of his wedding shooting. He has lots of other goodies too from Cinevate and Steadicam but the majority of his footage is from a monopod or tripod and he is shooting the whole day with DSLRs.

Does anyone know or have an idea from the pictures in this article what mics Ray is using?

Nick Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:00 AM   #14
Regular Crew

He was using this mic. Strictly for ambient to improve on the camera mic. He never put on headphones to monitor it. Just plugged it in and went to work. For just picking up ambient and people talking amongst themselves it works great for him.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/534023-REG/Sennheiser_MKE_400_MKE_400_Compact_Video.html
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:35 AM   #15
New Boot

Thanks!

Thanks Philip!!
Nick Swenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD