Mixing 24p and 30p footage on the same FCP timeline at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 18th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing 24p and 30p footage on the same FCP timeline

I brought a friend along to help me with a recent shoot, and made sure that our camera settings were identical. In my haste I forgot to make sure that we were both in 24p. As I watched the footage from the day's shoot, I noticed that his looked (or rather played) quite differently than mine. I checked his clip properties, and lo and behold he had shot the whole thing in 30p.

I've mixed different formats before in FCP, but never had to mix different frame rates on progressive video. I know there are a number of options here, but I'm looking for the one that has the least damaging effect on my footage. Do I convert the 30p stuff to 24p? If so, what app is best suited for the job? I know CinemaTools will slow it down (like it does with my 60p to 24p footage). I could just drop it directly onto the timeline, but the tests I've done with that method leave the 30p footage looking choppy.

What would you do in this situation?
Michael Winget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Michael,

I know that horrible feeling, during the shoot of a series my camera somehow switch from 24p to 30fps, and I ended up with a half of episode on 24p and the other half in 59.98.

i tried many options to see the best result and found that converting the files was the best option. I used MPEG streamclip (free software) using BATCH, and it did a pretty good job on the conversions in a decent amount of time. Some clips are pretty stroby, but there is no way around them. If you started editing, simply overwrite the converted files you are working with. Assuming that you are working in Prores.

If anyone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

Good luck,
Michael D
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I just want to second Michael's suggestion. While it is technically possible to mix frame rates in an FCP timeline, it is not a good idea. Take the time and convert all the 30p footage to 24p (or vice-versa) before you begin editing. You won't regret it.
Jeremy Pevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've got MPEG Streamclip, and will try that. Any idea on which conversion (24p to 30p, or vice versa) will create the LEAST amount of strobing? I'd imagine going from 30 to 24, as you aren't creating frames that don't already exist (not that removing frames that do is any better).

I'll just give it a go and see what happens. Luckily the 30p stuff was the B-cam; I should be able to manage.

Thanks again!
Michael Winget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Contributor

There is software out there you can buy that will do a better job. Magic Bullet and DVFilm come to mind. DVFilm - Digital to Film Transfers, Raylight Software for Desktop HD editing I've used them for video-to-35mm film transfer before but haven't used the software.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Wrangler

When I've had to do this, I've converted both to 60i since there are common well-known and well-tested methods for 24p/30p in 60i. Then it's 60i all the way until the output/export to the delivery format.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD