Best frame rate for greenscreen? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 21st, 2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Trustee

Best frame rate for greenscreen?

I'm shooting some green screen footage this afternoon and was wondering if I should use the 720 60i setting instead of 24 or 30. I know it's a little late to ask, but if anyone can answer this am, that would be great.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Major Player

What's the delivery framerate?

shooting at the delivery framerate, but progressive scan is fairly typical method.

If you're delivering at 720p, I'd still try to shoot 1080 if you are delivering at 29.97fps or less (1080p59.94 is not widely available as a recording format of course)...more spatial resolution won't hurt. Upping the framerate won't help nearly as much as increasing the frame size.

In general, I'm not sure I'd shoot green screen on a DSLR...pretty compressed stuff there. Others have probably had more experience with it though, and if you can key HDV (and I have), H.264 is likely manageable.

Better yet, an external recorder like a KiPro, or a Flash Nano would help make post a bit easier...

So...there are some thoughts to start...
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM   #3
Contributor

I shoot everything at 24 fps. No problems at all with greenscreen. Chroma keying is fine with the 7D, assuming you light it right and have decent keying software.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Chroma keying is fine with the 7D, assuming you light it right and have decent keying software.
Well, there you go... You can pretty much insert any camera you like into that statement, and the lighting and keying capability are still always the key.

I'm hoping to be a 7D newbie shortly. Then I'll have to really run some of these scenarios so I have some first hand experience.
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Trustee

Hopefully this is helpful and not too late, the only thing I'd add to Bill's comment is stay away from 720P.

If your' zoomed in to a MCU or CU 720P can look pretty good, but if your using a wide angle lens, especially with sharp focus, there's just too much moire in 720P.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It's not so much the framerate, but rather the shutter speed PER frame that you shoot. The higher, the better. This way you will minimize the blur in each frame and will result in a cleaner keying.
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Kent Frost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD