I can't afford L series lenses :( - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #16
Major Player

Ditto Jonathan's thoughts on the Tokina 11-16. I don't use it much, but when needed it does a very nice job.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hinkle View Post
FD lenses require an adaptor with optics in it for infinity focus to work. The addition of that little glass in there takes a stop of light away so I stay away from them.
So the old Nikons don't need that?
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Dennis,

You bought bought a camera bag off me once (in Mount Vic)... fancy meeting you here.

No, the Nikkors use a very simple adaptor, no optical component. Drop me a line if you want to check them out - I'm using 7 NIkkor AIS lenses and because the adaptors are so cheap I have one for each lens.

I am slowly switching to this configuration:
35 1.4L
85 1.2L
100 2.8L IS macro
24-70 2.8L
70-200 2.8L IS II

This will cover all needs, but until I can afford the full L set the Nikkors are fantastic!
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #19
Major Player

Hi Josh, ah that's freaky.
I sold my XHA1 and Letus Extreme and purchased a 7D.
I kept my nice little collection of FD lenses from the Extreme and brought the little FD adaptor for the 7D.
I wasn't aware that the Nikon lenses didn't need that, and that I was being robbed a stop of light by the little lens.
I'm doing a mad hunt for Nikons now!
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #20
Major Player

Check out the Used section of Photo and Videos website, from time to time they have good stuff. They are based in Christchurch - Second Hand Products Menu

Could be worth giving them a call.

I picked up a 24mm 2.8 Nikon from them awhile back, my only Nikon actually, everything else is Zeiss.

$30 Nikon to Canon Trademe adapters are the go.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #21
Major Player

Cheers for the heads up Joe.
So, as I'm now getting my head around the Nikon nomenclature, what's the deal with autofocus lenses on a 7D?
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:44 AM   #22
Major Player

Haven't got a chance checking back the thread but many thanks for the recommendations. I have never tried a Nikkor lens on my 7D to be honest but I did bought an adapter recently. I'll try borrow my friends' lenses and decide from there. But this a very very useful input. Cheers guys!
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:06 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw View Post
I also have the Canon 24-105 f4 which is great a great allrounder as it has the IS for video,
It's also an 'L' lens which the OP says he cannot afford:-) It's a really great general purpose lens when there is enough light that the F4 aperture is sufficient.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #24
Major Player

What about macro lens, have anyone got suggestions? I was looking at 100mm f2.8L Macro from Canon, but wondering if there's one cheaper alternative. Mainly using to shot ring in a wedding at close range.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
What about macro lens, have anyone got suggestions? I was looking at 100mm f2.8L Macro from Canon, but wondering if there's one cheaper alternative. Mainly using to shot ring in a wedding at close range.
The standard 100mm F2.8 Macro is a really great lens. It's not an 'L' & there is no IS but it is just half the price. Ken Rockwell has a good review of this lens Canon 100mm Macro
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD