Adjustable ND filter question. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #16
Trustee

I sure am pining for the days before the internet, sure you can shop pricing but there's way to much crap and its not at all clear what your getting. I miss Browns Photo, touching the merchandise and talking face to face.

I purchased a 72mm ND Fader from "Light Craft Workshop," it came in the same translucent white case with no markings or packaging. Mine has "NATURE 72mm FILTER" stamped on the side of the filter with no mention of being made in Japan.

Bruce, where did you get yours? Through all the discussion it's not clear to me where you got it. How well does it work on the Tokina 11-16?

When I purchased my ND Fader I thought the Tokina was 72mm, Doh!
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #17
Trustee

Chuck,
I got mine at a place here in South Florida called "Del Ray Camera" The number is 561) 278-3331.
You might mention my name, and tell them I just had one shipped to me in Pembroke Pines. They normaly don't ship, except by the us mail, but I gave them my fedex acct. number and got it next day.
I also need to order one more.
let me know how you do.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #18
Trustee

I would avoid all the inexpensive fader ND's from Sobefoto or even the improved version from Lightcraft. I've seen tests on the web and they all fall apart on long lenses. Haven't seen any tests with the singh ray but I have tested stacking 2 good quality polas. That worked fine even at 200mm, but the 2 filters alone cost considerably more than even the Lightcraft MkII - their slightly improved version. My guess is that the singh ray will be good.

Lots of people here don't seem to care if their long lens shots are ruined by these filters, kind of surprising in a high def marketplace.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #19
Major Player

Leonard, I "care if my long lens shots are ruined" which is why I rigorously tested the Lightcraft filters before using them on a paid gig.

There are issues using variable NDs - some leak blue, they can fool the meter into underexposure and you lose infinity focus - though in my tests, picture quality wise, the Lightcraft Fader ND held up remarkably well. I can certainly recommend them.
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #20
Trustee

Leonard,
What exactly do you mean by "they all fall apart on long lenses"?
Do you have link to the "tests"? I have both the Singh-Ray and the faderfilter hd,and the fader filter looked good on a quick test ( although I didn't try it yet with my 70-200 at 200mm).
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #21
Trustee

duplicate post sorry
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #22
Trustee

Fader ND Mk.II is still kinda "meh" for telephoto - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

DIY Fader vs LCW Fader ND Mark 2 - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=207504

draw your own conclusions

Even the test shots on the LCW website show degradation to me.

Just eyeballing I saw no change between no filter and a DIY combo of a good circular + a good linear.

Hey I don't want to spend money anymore than you guys, however I shoot lots of interviews at the end of the lens. Did one yesterday with the DIY combo and it was fine but I mean just go for the Singh Ray soon.

I haven't personally tried the LCW Mark II though so I'm basing just based on the above links.

Lenny

Last edited by Leonard Levy; June 27th, 2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #23
Major Player

Leonard, from those examples I can see why you think they suck. I must say my tests - done up to 200mm - were much better. But as I said earlier, there are issues with these filters and I would urge everyone to test them with their own set-up.

95% of the time I have Tiffen ND on my lenses and not the fader, but when I'm in a quick fire situation the Fader does it's job effectively. Certainly, I've never experienced the quality drop shown in your links.

As for DIY versus Fader, yes folks can make there own - you pays your money you makes your choice...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD