Olympus OM Zuiko MC Auto S - Which Adapter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 26th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Olympus OM Zuiko MC Auto S - Which Adapter?

I've dug around searching in the 7D, 5DMkII and 550D sections (and looked a lots of adapters on ebay etc..) but I'm still wondering which is the best adapter to go for.

Basically, I want to try this old manual 50mm F1.8 Olympus OM system lens (from my trusty OM1) on my Canon 7D.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Andy,

I have three OM adaptors. All have come from different eBay suppliers.
The last was from 'Big-IS'
AF Confirm Olympus OM to canon lens adapter EOS 1DS on eBay (end time 14-Jul-10 06:33:31 BST)

This has the 'AF-confirm' facility. Although focussing is manual of course, you see a flash and get the beep when focus is accurate, as you would with a Canon lens.This only really applies for still photography of course. You can also set the EXIF data for still photography with this adaptor.

However none of the adaptors I have bought has the tight tolerance of manuafacture as perhaps an expensive adaptor. There is a Japanese one that is supposed to be good, at considerable expense.
I have to 'shim' out the adaptor to achieve a lens fit that doesn't wobble. I'm using a slice of 'camera tape'
to achieve this. By having three adaptors I rarely have to change the OM adaptor over and therefore, with the one fitted to each lens, changing over is just like having a native Canon adaptor fitted.
The adaptors come with a Canon end-cap by the way.

My OM-1 lenses are so small compared with Nikon or Canon lenses and I've always found them to be really good quality. Being able to adapt these old lenses has given me 21mm f2, 24mm f2, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 200mm f4 and 300mm f4.5...all much smaller than any other lenses that I know of.

David
David W. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks David!
Old July 12th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Canon 7D with Olympus OM 50mm F1.8 lens - Picture

The adapter recommended above finally arrived this morning. Works pretty well and I'd forgotten how nice it is to use a fast lens that has a lovely, smooth, long throw manual focus ring. As expected my old OM Zuiko 50mm F1.8 looks tiny on the 7D (despite its reasonable reach). Should work well with tripod shots. 17 Quid very well spent - Fun times ahead!

UPDATE: I don't get the focus "beep" (but do see the squares when my manual focussing has been successful - for stills this is). No big deal but thought I'd mention it. I'm also delighted that I can still check the exposure setting meter during filming (if the subject suddenly gets lighter/darker) by a quick fleeting press of the shutter button, so indicating if I need to quickly open up/stop down (whilst I keep recording). Bokeh seems pretty reasonable and that lovely focus ring is oh so easy to use....

Very happy! :-) Quick snap attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Olympus OM Zuiko MC Auto S - Which Adapter?-shooting-image-7d-om-50mm-f1.8.jpg  

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; July 12th, 2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: adding snap of 7D with OM 50mm Zuiko F1.8
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm getting the occasional enquiry from people about using these types of adapters (although probably not the exact supplier/adapter I specifically used).

Latest e-mail I've had was from a guy in Sweden who has had exposure problems with the EOS to OM adapter he sourced. Anyone care to add any recommendations of recently sourced adapters that they have had success with?
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I found when using the OM lenses on my 7D that if you stooped down the meter reading would be off.
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD