Work around the 12 min time limit movie mode - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I've heard the codec used in the GH1 is not very fun to work with. You might do some more research on that end of it before you commit.
From what I understand, GH1 records in 1080p24 wrap in 60i. I will also need to buy NeoScene to perform pulldown removal. Then it will be easier to edit with cineform codec.
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #17
Regular Crew

There is a camera hack out there that will let your GH1 record 24p native and also let you crank up the picture quality. No need for Cineform. Do a google search for GH1 Hack and you will find it.

Here is some info:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...ml#post1550396
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Paul, thanks for the info. I'm actually looking into using 2 panasonic GH1 instead. i understand there is no time limit on video. It only record 1920x1080 24p in 60i wrapper. Is that correct?

thanks
Well that's a looong story - out of the box the GH1 will shoot AVCHD:
1920x1080 24p in 60i wrapper
1280x720 60p

& MJPEG
1280x720 30p

look on the site to check the specs (it's late)
the date rate is 17Mb/s so it's not fantastic - I love the image and work around the shortcomings.
the codec will break down (shows muddy areas = smudged) if you try a whip pan or shoot outside with lots of trees & grass. there's been lots of discussion on this so read up - I don't think it's a deal breaker but that's just my opinion.

You will find a lot of discussion and way too much noise about a hack for the GH1 & the GF1 - people are now reporting stable data rates of 30 & 40MB/s even close to 100! (a 16GB card last about 3 seconds though!) again read up if you want to follow that path AND make sure you don't get the latest GH1's - Panasonic have changed the firmware to lock out the hack.

I've hacked all my cameras but I'm not suggesting anyone do the same - like life, it's a risk - without the hack it's still a great little camera.

I'm still trying to catch up on my backlog but here's the first stuff I shot with the camera

all GH1

Some HV30, mostly GH1

all GH1

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD