Magic Lantern demo on the 550D - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #31
Major Player

Just sent a donation -- Come on everyone!
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #32
Inner Circle

I would love to do it. But how much donation should I give? It's always a tricky question =) any suggestions?
Old August 11th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I would love to do it. But how much donation should I give? It's always a tricky question =) any suggestions?
Just give what you can afford without making any great sacrifices. I'm sure every little is appreciated. Whether it's 5, 10, 20 or 50, it doesn't matter, you made a gesture.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #34
Inner Circle

I just made a donation. This is awesome!
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #35
New Boot

Would be great to eliminate the 12min recording limit!

Peter
Peter James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Thats a file size limitation on the file system, that limits the recording time. Basically, you get 4 gig max for Fat file system, as I understand it. I think in SD, you can get as high as 29 minutes on the 5D. That cuts off becasue European time limits and taxes on video cameras that record more that 30 minutes.

What you want to ask for is for the Camera to automatically continue recording after reaching the file size limit.
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #37
Inner Circle

If Tramm can identify an flag or interrupt that occurs when the file limit is reached, he might be able to automatically start a new recording. There would probably be a slight gap, but it would allow hands-free operation.

Many of the features that people request (eliminate aliasing and rolling shutter and record RAW) would require hardware changes and/or reprogramming of the DIGIC IV signal processor, which isn't practical for Magic Lantern. The "auto renew recording" feature, however, could be done within the normal CPU, assuming that Tramm or some other programmer could discover the hooks.
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #38
Major Player

Is it possible to activate the magnifying function X5-X10 while the camera is recording ? even if it is for 5 seconds, that will definitely give you a better edge on focusing !!
what about activating the viewfinder while recording instead of LCD !

That's my wish list :)
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
what about activating the viewfinder while recording instead of LCD !

That's my wish list :)
Viewfinder wont work because the mirror would have to drop down which would block the sensor, so its a mechanical impossibility to do both.
Not sure why you would want to anyway, the viewfinder is tiny and awful to use for manual focusing.
Sam Tansey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #40
New Boot

Ok, I understand the 4Gb file size limit explanation. Auto continue record would be ok but probably still not solve my problem where I am using one unattended 550d to record a 40min gig as it would drop a second or so in the changeover resulting in a break in continuity of the audio & video recording. Unless of course it can happen in milli or microseconds which I somehow doubt.

At present I usually stop start after 2 songs which usually run about 3.5 to 5 min each. I just have to remember to do it whilst I am shooting closeups on my second 550d.

Another incredibly useful feature would be a flashing Tally lamp so I can look at the camera from a distance and see if it is recording. You would have to program the LED on the front to for some low output short pulses, I would love this!

I note that when I operate my Canon RC-6 remote that the front LED flashes a single short orange flash, if we could keep that going every 3-5 seconds I would be happy, provided it does not get recorded as well.

Peter
Old August 14th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #41
Inner Circle

It's just very dangerous to record with T2i unattended. Other than the 12 minutes limit, the camera might get overheat, depends on room temperature, in about 40 to 50 minutes. I hired assistant to monitor the second cam. Also have a third T2i in case of overheat that I can swap.
Old August 14th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #42
New Boot

I have not experienced any overheating, have you? I normally shoot in 1920 24 with a class 6 card. the recording never slows and i do not feel any heat on the body, although it is on either tripod or monopod so i do not really get the chance to feel it often but my hand does go to it to adjust focus & frame rate.

Peter
Old August 14th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #43
Inner Circle

It is common issue to 7D and T2i. It seems 7D can deal with heat better because of the metal casing. I tested my T2i in continous recording, it get overheated in about 50 minutes in temperature around 80 degree. When I tested it early in the morning when room temperature about 67 degree, I got 1.5 hrs before it gets overheat.
Old August 14th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #44
New Boot

Ok, I will keep and eye on it. As I say most of my sets are about 40 min tops so perhaps not a problem. The indoor temp is usually around 80-90 deg F as well I guess. Battery will run out at about 50 min too from memory.

Peter
Old August 14th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #45
Inner Circle

I am using a Canon battery grip that double the battery capacity. I really like it as it gives the camera a more firm solid grip. Also, makes the camera less toy-ish. I'm using the LP-E8 I'm selling and they works just like the stock battery.

By using the battery grip, it takes out some of the heat from inside the camera body to outside. From my test it gives me longer run time before I have the over heat icon show up.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD