Frustrated with T2i colours / tonal range - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #16
Major Player

Thank you Perrone and Jon
"the dynamic range of a camera depends on the whole system, including sensor technology, size, and the rest of the signal chain". That`s it.
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #17
Major Player

My 550D gives great colour, i use neutral with the colour set down a notch.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I think a larger pixel can gather more photons, so in theory a larger sensor (with more area per pixel) can deliver more dynamic range.
In general, that's true, especially if we consider the typical photographer's definition of dynamic range, where there is a high standard for the amount of noise accepted in the shadows. However, it's because of the larger sensor, not the larger pixel, that large sensors can deliver more dynamic range. A larger sensor with the same area per pixel (i.e. more pixels instead of larger pixels) can and does still deliver more dynamic range. This is easy to verify, as I've done here:

Image comparison

The reason why is pretty straightforward: when images from a small sensor and large sensor are displayed at the same size, the large sensor is concentrating more light into the same area. Whether that light is from one larger pixel or multiple pixels of the same size doesn't affect the outcome: the larger sensor has more dynamic range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
That said, Perrone is exactly right. In practice, the dynamic range of a camera depends on the whole system, including sensor technology, size, and the rest of the signal chain. All it takes is one bottleneck to reduce the dynamic range - including a bottleneck in post.
Agreed.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post
My 550D gives great colour, i use neutral with the colour set down a notch.
But it lacks the sharpness resolution of my HV30 which is a big dissapointment, its nothing to do with the edit i edit the raw 1920P files and BDs etc have the same resolution as direct camera playback.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #20
Major Player

Yes Martyn, my HV20 had noticiable more detail resolution than the t2i, as well as more latitude (dynamic range), even using your set up (neutral with the colour set down a notch).
That`s for me is the biggest disapointment.
But it is a good and cheap way to get shallow depth of field, very useful in many situations.
Ron German is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD