expensive glass vs not expensive glass(not a dumb question i swear) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 20th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Nicely done by Bloom. At his age, I would have expected him to be more familiar with some of the older glass. Especially considering his background. But there you go.

Interesting that he noted the same issues with sharpness I did. These lenses are too sharp for what our cameras can resolve in video mode and just create problems. I can't wait to shoot some of the stuff I want to do in the next 2 months with some vintage glass. Just wish I could afford that 85mm Takumar. But it's going for nearly $400 on eBay right now. A bit too rich for me unless I start making money with it.
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #17
Major Player

As I understand it Bloom's background is working for Sky News, so his experience is with ENG cameras and lenses.
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I thought he had done stills work prior to that. Perhaps I was mistaken.
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:32 PM   #19
Major Player

When I was a photographer (a long time back) I don't think I even owned a zoom lens. I owned around eight primes - but often used three primes and thats it - to change focal length I walked.

But now prime lenses just give me trouble. I only shoot documentaries in fairly remote places, and changing lenses is impossible - only in quiet moments shooting B-roll and setting establishing shots can I relax to use primes. You need 2 or 3 camera bodies but I cant carry too much gear.

I will be shooting the 7D as my main camera next month in China (a martial arts doc) and will take three Canon L lenses and the Tokina. All zooms. The only prime I will carry is a 50mm/1.4 - sometimes I interview in dark interiors like temples.

So the choice is zooms andit has to be L glass, for the times I am red-dust storms or rain that knocks you down!
The ideal for me would be one lens - 12-200mm F2.0 IS and weighing 12oz and that may not happen in my lifetime. This is also why Red is releasing the scarlet with a fixed 8x zoom. For people like me.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD