Bad Luck? I don't think so at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 25th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Bad Luck? I don't think so

It happened to me.......unfortunately

I own a 7D and 60D even though most of my filming is done on the 60D these days because of manual audio, LCD, etc...
Two weeks ago, I shot the last wedding of the season. This was shot on 4 brand new

Originally I had planned to buy better Sandisk cards(£80 each) but I thought, "hey what are the chances of one these cards dying on me"? Well, one of them did die. Corrupted. Not recognized. Terror. Stress. Inside --> brides prep, ceremony, etc....

Needless to say this was one of the most stressful times of my life, I couldn't sleep or eat thinking about it. In the end, I sent the card to a 'data recovery company' which charged me £650 for the recovery of 16gb of data. What's it worth it? of course it was but it would have been cheaper to buy good quality cards in the first place..........................same old story

Please, don't take this message as patronizing (no intention) but keep it in mind when buying media! just my two cents
Guillermo Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Tourist

Cheer up! There is mush biger problems in life. Even when I own "Sandisk 16Gb SDHC Class 10 30mb/s (~£80)" every time when I coming home I copy everything in to my personal computer or laptop and not leaving enything in SDHC card, cose you don't know what can happend.
Old October 27th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Guillermo,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I knock on wood every time I hear this happening to other shooters. Just curious - I'm assuming you tried some disk recovery software yourself? I'm beta-testing a recovery app and just did a quick test with an SDHC card - not only did I purposefully erase all of the mages and movies but I also removed the card during a write cycle repeatedly trying to create a corrupted card. (I couldn't do it. It always mounted.) I also quick-formatted the card in the camera to see if I could recover the files and yes, I can, but they don't have their original names. Those have been stripped off and replaced with generic numbers. All are intact though. I just wanted to see how I would handle this situation if it happened. I'm on a Mac and this is the app I am testing.

Disk Drill - Mac data recovery software. Recover lost data easily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo Ibanez View Post
It happened to me.......unfortunately

I own a 7D and 60D even though most of my filming is done on the 60D these days because of manual audio, LCD, etc...
Two weeks ago, I shot the last wedding of the season. This was shot on 4 brand new Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 10

Originally I had planned to buy better Sandisk cards(£80 each) but I thought, "hey what are the chances of one these cards dying on me"? Well, one of them did die. Corrupted. Not recognized. Terror. Stress. Inside --> brides prep, ceremony, etc....

Needless to say this was one of the most stressful times of my life, I couldn't sleep or eat thinking about it. In the end, I sent the card to a 'data recovery company' which charged me £650 for the recovery of 16gb of data. What's it worth it? of course it was but it would have been cheaper to buy good quality cards in the first place..........................same old story

Please, don't take this message as patronizing (no intention) but keep it in mind when buying media! just my two cents
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,
I also have a transcend 32gb for my 60D. I have not problems so far but I would like to test it a little more.
I really believe though that you should try a data recovery software.
They basicaly work the same way.
I use easy data recovery for PC and it saved me once with a lexar CF card.

I'm not sure that data recovery companies use any other method for memory cards. Maybe in magnetic media like hard drives they do but not for memory cards.

Well, I started as an electronics engineer but quited my studies since I got a job in a TV station so I'm no expert but I have just a little basic knowledge...
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Keep to 8 gig cards. And dump to a lap top regularly during the shoot. If you do lose something, its not near as much.
Old October 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Guillermo,

I'm beta-testing a recovery app and just did a quick test with an SDHC card

Disk Drill - Mac data recovery software. Recover lost data easily!
Joel, once someone creates a software like Treasured that we can use on our own -- it will be worth $100 to me to own. But it would go for a cool $350.00. I'd still buy it.

I'd love to try your software if you get that far with it!
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Sorry to hear about your situation. It's the worst fear a DSLR videographer would face. Few months ago I was debating to get a netbook for backup or get more SD card, I opt for the more expensive SanDisc instead of the Trenscend. Some people tell me Transcend should be fine.. but I just can't deal with the lost of footage.
Old October 28th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Major Player

The only times I've ever lost a whole card was user error - formatted the thing by mistake. I used RescuePro one time, and another time, I used the built-in recovery tool on my Hyperdrive.

No problems, got it all back. The best cards in the world won't save you from yourself :)
Kin Lau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD