Rain streaks from a window projected on objects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 26th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Rain streaks from a window projected on objects

I don't know where else to post this:

I have a commercial shoot coming up that calls for "rain streaks from the window visible on body/shoes"

If you've ever seen the movie "In Cold Blood", you know what they are calling for:
Robert Blakes character has a monologue by a window that has rain streaks running down it, and the rain streaks are "projected" onto his face.

for testing - i got a 250W, a 500w and a 1k Fresnel, and a 50 by 50cm sheet of glass in my apartment right now but damned if i can find a way to get the rain streaks projected on to the objects! But i got the rain streaks on the window itself looking great! That will come in handy one day:)

FWIW I do not need the show the windows and "objects" in the same shot.

Anyone have any ideas??
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Mike, I think it is to do with the distance the glass with drops of water on are to the light source and person, I have not done this, but I do use cookies to project onto backgrounds and by moving the distance of the cookie to the wall I can get a more or less focused shadow.
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Major Player

ya, been using cookies for years as well, but never with cookies as fine, nor as translucent as this.

I've just text msged a friend of friend who's a 1st AC on big budgets and he's said "Its one of the hardest lighting techniques (i keep forgetting we have a lighting section here at DVinfo, should have posted there). He said, "nowadays, we use a projector with a controller to project on to whatever. Try with it with the camera synced to projs scan rate"

i'm not sure about the controller part, must have to do with scan/refresh rate... i'll have to look in to it, but i think its a pretty good solution. i have more control - i can film plates of differing sizes for different shots ie bigger streaks for CUs, smaller for wide shots, etc.

I'll give it try!
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Major Player

you need a lot of distance between the light source and the window for them to be projected in focus, at least 12' + as a minimum,

you also might consider adding a drop of ink to the water to make the streaks a little bit darker.

there's another great example of the technique in "Bringing out the dead" where nicholas cage is trying to take a nap in the ambulance. beautiful.
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Major Player

another thing is to consider using baby oil because it won't dry off quickly from the heat of the light and might bead a little better.

also, try rubbing the glass down with rain-x, that will make the water bead and form droplets which will likely be thicker and more prominent.
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Bickford View Post
you need a lot of distance between the light source and the window for them to be projected in focus, at least 12' + as a minimum,

you also might consider adding a drop of ink to the water to make the streaks a little bit darker.

there's another great example of the technique in "Bringing out the dead" where nicholas cage is trying to take a nap in the ambulance. beautiful.
With much experientation I came to this conclusion. It's quite a delicate balance!
I like the ink touch!
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #7
Trustee

you'll find a hard source will work better. try removing a lens from one of your fresnels, or getting your hands on a DP light or Red Head. a hard source is your best starting point. you can always add fill as needed.
Old December 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Trustee

you'll find a hard source will work better. try removing a lens from one of your fresnels, or getting your hands on a DP light or Red Head. a hard source is your best starting point. you can always add fill as needed.
Old December 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Inner Circle

For a film noir parody where we wanted the hardest possible shadows, we bought home depot fixtures with snoots and 300W incandescent bulbs with clear glass. We hand picked the bulbs that had the smallest filament footprint when viewed from the front.

I'm not sure that a Fresnel would give as small a spot. As I recall, ARRIs mount the bulb vertically and there is a reflector behind the bulb. Maybe an ellipsoidal fixture would give a smaller source when the glass is removed.

If all else fails, do a test with a glass incandescent with a black foil snoot. It's cheap!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD