what's the best way to monitor audio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 10th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Major Player

what's the best way to monitor audio?

When not using a Zoom recorder or the like how can I go about monitoring audio? I can control the line level of a mic going into the camera but how do I monitor it on the fly?

I was thinking I can use the A/V output to an RCA-1/4" adapter but then I would have to hook my monitor up with RCA instead of HDMI and lose a lot of my video monitoring ability.

Is there a solution?
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Contributor

That's about it. If you're using a Juicedlink or some other device to defeat the auto gain, it probably has a headphone out jack, but you're only monitoring what's coming to it, not what the camera is really getting. I've started recording some of my audio to my 5D since it can now do manual gain, but I always double record to the Zoom. I use a Y-adapter from the Zoom's output, with a pad cable to take it to mic level for the camera and calibrate the camera's meters so it's matching the zoom. So I know the audio going to and coming out of the Zoom is good, but there's no easy way to tell what the camera is doing till after the fact. So far it's been fine, but what if the cable dies or something like that? So double recording is the only safe way. And the Zoom quality is better anyway. I find the camera sound acceptable for somethings, but not for something that might be shown with theatrical sound.

If you can use a monitor and go that route then it's the safest for camera sound.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #3
Major Player

this is how i do it.

J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Major Player

J.J.
that is the exact way I'm going to monitor audio and record on my 7D, I just got the cables last week (have not tried it yet, but I guess it works after viewing your video). I got the Zoom H2 coz most of my mics got 3.5mm stereojack, so I didn't se a point geting the more expencive H4.

thanks for sharing

/Markus

edit:
The only thing that I've been thinking of is if the audio signal gets weaker if you split it?
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I personally use a 3.5mm to bluetooth dongle, and wireless bluetooth headset, connected to my h4n zoom.
Jonny Norquist is offline   Reply With Quote

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD