"De-yellowed" radioactive Nikon lens... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 26th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Major Player

"De-yellowed" radioactive Nikon lens...

Hi all,

One of my favorite all-around lenses for shooting events is a first-generation Nikon 35mm f1.4. Unfortunately because one or more of its elements contains radioactive Thorium it had turned a noticeable shade of yellow. I'd read that exposing yellow lenses to UV light, natural or not, can clear them up, so I rigged up a $17 52-LED UV flashlight to run off a power adapter and set it over the Nikon which itself was on a small mirror. In the before-and-after images the Nikon is on the left next to a clear Pentax 50mm f1.2. Though not completely clear yet I think it may be working.

If you live in a more temperate climate you can use the sun to bleach the lens, but at this time of the year its not even an option for me - where I live (Wisconsin) we get practically no UV in the winter:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...les/mke_09.png

In the picture of the UV flashlight is the next lens that I hope will de-yellow, an Olympus 55 1.2.

Just thought this may encourage others with yellow glass to give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails
"De-yellowed" radioactive Nikon lens...-screencap1.jpg   "De-yellowed" radioactive Nikon lens...-screencap2.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD