Zoom H2 for video? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM   #16
Trustee

A little update - just finished on a busy filming job with some colleagues, one of whom was using a Zoom H4n with a DSLR, who did encounter a sync problem. However, it was to do with Final Cut Pro (he's not on v7 yet) and an old bug regarding FCP picking up on the wrong frame rate if, say, you're using a 29.97 as a default, which you change to 24p. I didn't get into the gory details, but good to note it wasn't the Zoom's fault.
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kanter View Post
The sound being recorded is this bass player who will pluck, bow, and make other sounds with his bass while interacting with the dancer. This was recorded with a Rode video shotgun. This is a church near Times Square, and I will have lots of problems with car street noise which will possibly be edited out.

This is not a documentation, but a creative piece that will be shot in many takes at different perspectives with two cameras, then edited together creatively. I'll have to find the best position to place the recorder, without it being seen on camera.

YouTube - In the Shadows

Any helpful ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
I'd appreciate anyone checking this out, and making any video or audio suggestions that I may have overlooked. Shooting with 5D2 and 60D, audio with Zoom H2.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #18
New Boot

ideas on placement

Alright, took a gander at the video you posted and I assume the venue for the upcoming recording is the same as in the video. FYI, I use my H2 for all my audio playing about.
In any event, I can see one good possibility, and one wacky possibility:

1. Good possibility: at the edge of the stage there is a lip / step down to the floor. Assuming you are keeping the lighting setup the same, that lip is in dark shadow. Plant a greeked (i.e. covered in black gaffers tape - in particular the "Mic Active" and the Front/Surround/Rear red leds) H2 on the ground in that zone, and attach an omni lav (black of course) so that the mic is just poking above the lip of the stage. Try to isolate the cord / mic from the stage to minimize the vibrations from her movements (i.e. slip some foam or carpet between the cord and the stage lip before slapping a piece of black gaffer tape in place to hold it still.) Assuming he is putting out some good volume, you should get some usable audio, and the gear should be pretyy much invisible.

2. Have the bass player wear the H2 as a belt pack, and run the lav. mic (now, I know this is wacky) up his back and down his sleeve and tape it VERY SECURELY to the back of his right hand. You get the mic much closer to the bass, you practically eliminate low frequency thumps from the stage vibrating into the mic, and the mic stays positioned (relatively) in front of the sound holes even when he is turning his back on the stage-front and moving around the dancer. As long as you tape it to BE SURE nothing directly contacts the actual mic (i.e. he flexes his wrist back and bumps the mic, his sleeve slides around and bumps the mic, etc.) it might be alright. If you can secure the wrist of his shirt as well it will help eliminate even more clothing noise. The wind noise from his hand movements might be impossible to deal with though - try the idea out before hand, then try it again with a windscreen in place on the mic. If it works, be sure to watch out at the end (when he lays down and switches hands) - make sure to have him lay his right hand on the edge of the bass (caress it? justify it somehow) so it can pick up those last strains of the music.

Let me know how you end up executing the recording - love to hear about your solution in the end.
B.J. Szabicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #19
Major Player

B.J., thanks for your post and your ideas.

The bassist was not open to wearing any device as he thought it would restrict his movement.

We ended up using his H4N on the floor before the stage, pointing up, not in the shot. We had my H2 behind a pillar as a backup.

Sound came out OK, though levels were a bit low. We did have some truck noise, but I'm hoping I can choose different parts of music from different takes to eliminate it. Or else, just leave it in as part of the environment of the piece.

Lots of editing as we did many takes from different cameras and perspectives - the video material looks great. When finished, I will post.

Thanks again.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD