what equipment do i need to start using the 7D? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 17th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Not to hijack the thread

but Spiro, does the 550 offer the same frame rates as the 7D? And also, are you just comparing these 2 cameras for the OP's actual needs (ie; live gigs, studio recordings, and music videos? Meaning that the 7D would be overkill).

I use my 7D purely for narritive, would the 550 or 60D give me the same exact results as a 7D? And if so, why are people still looking at the 7D over these other 2 models? As far as I can tell, the only 3 cons of the 7D are: 1. Overheating; 2. Not full Frame; 3. Aliasing; To a lesser degree so not really a con; Can't adjust the audio with ML like you can with the 5D
Ryan Kincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Megahey View Post
There is a another reason why i would use the 7d over the 550. i have both ( btw) Its the weight. I have a steadicam merlin and theres no way that i could get it ballanced solid. The 7d was no problem. Maby theres guys that have it flying perfect but couldnt get it rock solid, its just to light.
I have just started to learn to fly the T2i (550d) with my Blackbird. It is true that it is a bit tougher to balance camera alone. But adding a heavy 24mm Nikon lens over the kit lens, and a Manfrotto Quick Release helps in that department, at least on the Blackbird.

As far as frame rates, I understand they are the same as the 7D
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kincaid View Post
Not to hijack the thread

but Spiro, does the 550 offer the same frame rates as the 7D? And also, are you just comparing these 2 cameras for the OP's actual needs (ie; live gigs, studio recordings, and music videos? Meaning that the 7D would be overkill).

I use my 7D purely for narritive, would the 550 or 60D give me the same exact results as a 7D? And if so, why are people still looking at the 7D over these other 2 models? As far as I can tell, the only 3 cons of the 7D are: 1. Overheating; 2. Not full Frame; 3. Aliasing; To a lesser degree so not really a con; Can't adjust the audio with ML like you can with the 5D
Well Chris already answered about the frame rates but yes, the 60D and the 550D with ML will do everything the 7D will and then some more.

A short list of what the other cameras will do that the 7D will not.

60D: Articulating screen, Manual audio levels, No overheating issues.
550D + Magic Lantern Firmware:Focus Peacking, Manual Audio Levels, full time audio levels on screen, more audio adjustments like mic mixing and seperate analog and digital gain, False colors, rack focusing, Auto resume recording, Optional headphones out and much more that you can find on the Magic Lantern thread.
600D Articulating screen, Digital Zoom (don't know how usefull that is though), probably no overheating issues too because of the articulating screen (that allows better cooling) I think it also has manual audio levels but I could be wrong.

550D, 60D and 600D are all newer than 7D and in this world of electronics newer products (most of the times) come cheaper and better.

550D, 60D, 600D, and 7D use the very same sensor and have the same range of frame rates and IQ.
the only benefit (for video) the 7D has over the other three is the HD output while recording on the HDMI which is very usefull if you have a High Quality HD external monitor.

Most people are still looking at the 7D because they see others using it (that bought them before the other three came up) or because they haven't done a research on what's available or what will do the job or they simply don't know any better.

I will say it one more time, the 7D is by no means a bad camera, it is actually a very good camera. For stills it is the obvious choice among the four options as it has better AF. It is also better build and feels more robust.
Better video it will not do though.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #19
Major Player

The better build and wether protection is a big thing for me... for outdoor I think that 7D is better, just wish for manual audio...
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Spiro

The reason I asked was I want to invest in a second camera for 2 camera setups. Knowing that I can get the same video set up AND also get better mic/sound options for cheaper is nice.

I'm not big into photography so I'm good on that. Plus I prefer older, manual lenses.

Looks like the 550D will be on my checklist
Ryan Kincaid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD