Best setup for wedding Videography? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best setup for wedding Videography?

Hi guys. Im completely new to this DSLR thing but I am thinking of instead of buying a XF100, I would get a 7D to shoot my weddings. Who is with me? Anyways I need major help in seting me up. What kind of lens is the ideal for weddings, fast lens, telephoto, etc? I wouldnt mind having 2 or 3 lenses with the 7D to produce some of the amazing footage i've seen so far.

My other question is if this camera will go good with my steadicam merlin? Is this camera considered much lighter than an XH A1 even if I have a lens attached and maybe some accessories? THanks
Victor Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best setup for wedding Videography?

One thing I've learned from this board is that everyone is ...kinda ...sorta doing things their own way.

The following 5 replies will all give you different advice. :P

lol
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Trustee

Shooting video with a DSLR is like driving an Indy car. It's totally possible any anyone can do it. But I wouldn't want to toss my 16 year old the keys to the Indy car and say "here you go.. good luck!". You'd want to have years of experience behind a Z1U first, and know how to shoot in and out before trying to hack together a DSLR rig.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I disagree with Mike. Moving from a traditional video camera to a DSLR can be a bit jarring. If you want the DLSR "look", then by all means, start shooting with DSLR's. The learning curve is a bit steep but at least you won't have a bunch of old habits to break. In short, I think you'll be better off not getting used to the conveniences of a dedicated video camera.
Lance Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'd also like to modify Mike's Indy car analogy. Shooting with a DSLR is NOT like driving an Indy car. It's like trying to drive a jet on an Indy track. In other words, a DSLR isn't really designed to do what videographers want it it do. Sure, a jet has wheels and powerful engines, but it would take a great deal of finesse and skill to maneuver it around an Indy track at top speed. Likewise, mastering a DSLR's video capability is no simple task and the skill set that it requires doesn't necessarily correlate to the skill set of mastering a traditional video camera. Which brings me back to the point of my previous post: If you want the look of a DSLR, buy a DSLR.
Lance Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Trustee

We're shooting weddings with combinations of multiple 7D and 5D2 bodies having shot with traditional video cameras for long enough to know I prefer DSLR ;)

You need an alternative audio recorder, the 7D is lousy with audio, regardless of what 'fix' you try. So something like a Tascam or Zoom H4n is mandatory.

Then you need some good glass.... and that's when DSLR stops being the cheap option. Yes, you can use it on a Steadicam Merlin - we have one. Yes you can shoot with 2 or 3 lenses (we use up to 8). It's not as small and light as people make out once you add all the support gear you need (Audio + Extra lenses + extra batteries).
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

ok. I know what lenses I will get. I am most worried about finding the right "gig" for support. Something that will help stabilize the DSLR besides a steadicam, where I can attach a focusing system, perhaps a monitor, extra battery, etc. What do you guys recommend for increasing steadiness for a wedding that is efficient.
Victor Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #8
Major Player

I shoot docs not weddings but if you are coming from video cams to DSLRs with no traditional stills or photography background I would not advise the Canons. You need some basic photography experience I think because the Canons think in stills mode but can act in video ... make sense? This can be very frustrating if you are shooting 'on the go'.

However, I do think the GH2 can be a good option because it is very similar to shooting with a video cam. The LCD flips out and the screen is identical to most video screens. It also has audio control. It is very intuitive. I own both and the GH2 is very easy to get going fast. I actually prefer the video quality so far to the 7D as well. I still shoot with my 7D because I own lots of great L lenses - but I am slowly buying four thirds lenses now to move over to the GH2 more.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Major Player

Victor..

For steadies: tripod, monopod at least. if you have budget, get a glidecam.. but its not an essential

If you're on glidecam.. forget attaching battery grip, onboard mic or even a monitor. It's too heavy and complicated for a wedding setup IMO.

For audio: either wireless system or voice recorder. suit it with budget. I prefer voice recorder + lav.. and RODE for the camera

Practice your manual focus, exposure setup..

I am one of those who jumped straight to DSLR without really much experience in the conventional video camera. It is indeed quite a learning curve.. but I reckon its worth it.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
I shoot docs not weddings but if you are coming from video cams to DSLRs with no traditional stills or photography background I would not advise the Canons. You need some basic photography experience I think because the Canons think in stills mode but can act in video ... make sense? This can be very frustrating if you are shooting 'on the go'.

However, I do think the GH2 can be a good option because it is very similar to shooting with a video cam. The LCD flips out and the screen is identical to most video screens. It also has audio control. It is very intuitive. I own both and the GH2 is very easy to get going fast. I actually prefer the video quality so far to the 7D as well. I still shoot with my 7D because I own lots of great L lenses - but I am slowly buying four thirds lenses now to move over to the GH2 more.
interesting advice, not to hijackk the thread, but what is it you like more about the actual video quality of the GH2?
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:19 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Westerstrom View Post
interesting advice, not to hijackk the thread, but what is it you like more about the actual video quality of the GH2?
The GH2 image is more detailed with less moire & aliasing & more natural colour. It also doesn't have the 12 minute recording time limit. On the downside compared to a Canon 5DII or 7D the GH2 feels like a little plastic toy in your hands.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD