Macro Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 6th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Macro Lens

Which Macro lens do you use/suggest for the Canon 7D/60D in regards to weddings? Thank you.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Macro Lens

Hi Michael,

I use an extension tube with no communication between the lens and the body - less than $10. They come in sets that can be used separately or as a group by screwing/unscrewing. Works with any lens.

Extension tube - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

extension tube eos items - Get great deals on Cameras Photo, extension tube eos 50d items on eBay.com!
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Michael,

I use an extension tube with no communication between the lens and the body - less than $10. They come in sets that can be used separately or as a group by screwing/unscrewing. Works with any lens.

Extension tube - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

extension tube eos items - Get great deals on Cameras Photo, extension tube eos 50d items on eBay.com!
Thanks Joel. If you can get these for $10, why would someone pay $1,000 for the 100mm 2.8 L Series lens?
Old March 6th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Michael,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
Thanks Joel. If you can get these for $10, why would someone pay $1,000 for the 100mm 2.8 L Series lens?
I honestly don't know, but I'm sure there are reasons. For the little bit of macro work I do the extension tubes work really well. Just used them this morning for shots of a lens that is going on ebay tonight:
Attached Thumbnails
Macro Lens-new.jpg  
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:18 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
They pay $1000 because they want a 100mm 2.8L IS lens. It's a fantastic lens not just for Macro photos but for portraits & video shooting. Unlike the tubes it has IS. Extension tubes are good if you are on a budget but no real comparison to buying an L series lens.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:10 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Another vote for that lens. It really produces fantastic images. Mine paid for itself the first photo session I did with it and the client (in my case corporate) was delighted with the results!
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the responses. Since I shoot mainly weddings and only need the macro for some shots at the brides house, will the extension tubes be good enough? I own many L series glass like the 24mm 1.4 and the 35mm 1.4
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Michael,

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Since I shoot mainly weddings and only need the macro for some shots at the brides house, will the extension tubes be good enough?
Me again. Last night I did some googling and could find no evidence that optically a macro lens is better than a tube. Everyone is saying convenience and other uses for a macro lens other than macro work but for someone like you the tube is the easiest, cheapest way to go and get the same quality as a dedicated close focusing lens. I'd love the input of others to tell me otherwise. I couldn't find it.

One thing to remember - if you get an extension tube set that isn't coupled to the meter you'll want to use a manual focus lens with an aperture ring. Its always best to shoot cu's stopped down as far as possible for a deeper dof, and with a Canon EF lens the aperture will stay wide open on a tube with no contacts. I have a Pentax 50/1.2 that works well with the shortest of the three extension tubes between the mounts - it gives me a shot that fills the frame with a ring and you're a comfortable 8-10" away with the camera. The ring turn at about :30 was done with this setup:

~ LAURA AND JOHN | SAME-DAY EDIT ~
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Trustee

I have a set of extensions tubes with electronic PINS, FULLY COUPLED and it they work fine with the lenses that need them. there is only one real reason to get a true macro lens and thats to be able to continuously focus from infinity to 2". if thats not ciritcal, then extension tubes work fine. they will work best with primes like a 50-100mm lens. with some zooms, they are a bit weird to work with
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Michael,

The ring turn at about :30 was done with this setup:

~ LAURA AND JOHN | SAME-DAY EDIT ~
In the video, what steadicam you use? Merlin or glidecam?
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Luke,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Gates View Post
In the video, what steadicam you use? Merlin or glidecam?
Its a 10 year old Glidecam 2000 which has seen better days.
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
there is only one real reason to get a true macro lens and thats to be able to continuously focus from infinity to 2".
Extension tubes are OK but there are lots of other differences & reasons why macro lenses are normally superior. Extension tubes work by moving the lens further from the sensor & further away the lens is then the closer you can focus & the greater the magnification but the darker is the image at the same aperture. The optics of a lens specifically designed for macro photography will be optimised versus those of a lens simply being held further from the sensor to get the same image size.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #13
Major Player

Try to find one of the older Canon EF 100mm f2,8 lenses (non-IS). They are extremely sharp, have a fantastic DOF and are quite cheap secondhand. I use mine a lot. Don't forget: on the 7D it becomes a 160 mm lens, a dream for portraits!
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I agree with Luc. The older macro is very nearly as sharp as the new L macro - even in the corners. The falloff is similar. Even wide open, the non-L macro is sharper in the corners than the EF 85/1.8 is when stopped down to f/2.8. If you ask me, the only advantage of the new macro is hybrid-IS. Yes, it's a bit sharper, but the difference is so slight that it won't make a difference for real world images.

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens Comparison - Vignetting Test Results

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens Comparison - ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Results

Of course, the dream 100mm macro is the Zeiss. It's fast enough at f/2 to replace an 85 (unless you MUST have f/1.4 or f/1.2 for natural light shoots), and a 1:2 macro is generally all you could want for video, except for exceptional shots. Rent the 65mm x1-x5 for those effects.

Zeiss 100mm f/2.0 Makro-Planar T* ZE Lens - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens Comparison - Vignetting Test Results

Zeiss 100mm f/2.0 Makro-Planar T* ZE Lens - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens Comparison - ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Results

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD