Follow focus alternatives - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 5th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Follow focus alternatives

Luke, that's good to know. I guess that there's few good, cheap (and fast) vintage wides out there, because 35mm/full-frame wide is a whole lot different that wide on a crop-sensor cam.

I'll probably invest in the Tokina 11-16/2.8 at some point. By all accounts it's just a fabulous lens.

I find that I need either a super-wide lens (for b-roll & exteriors) OR a medium tele (for interviews) for ~95% of the productions I shoot. If I get into a tight room, I'll slap on a nifty-fifty for an interview, but the EF 85/1.8 is on maybe 80% of the time.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Here you are Brian. First two clips are noisy, not white balanced, just threw the cam on the tripod for a comparison. Obviously the difference between the two is significant, but amazingly so when you do a side by side comparison. At 1.4 keeping focus on my dog walking toward me is tough, but you can see its sharpness wide open at 38-39 seconds in. Pause it and you will see his head/face is damn sharp but view down to only his shoulders and its already blurring. There are also other random moments of in focus seconds good enough to get an understanding of how sharp it is wide open. I can get better video if you desire.

Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks for that, Luke. The first clips were too dark to make a meaningful comparison, but I don't doubt the Pentax is much sharper. The dog clip indeed shows how sharp it is wide open. Very impressive. And I LOVE the shallow-DOF look, that's not anywhere close with the Tamron @ 2.8 or even 3.2 (to get some sharpness back).

Speaking of "nifty-fifties", I am amazed at just how sharp the little $99 plastic EF 50/1.8 is. It's a junk lens for video, due to the focus wheel being the width of a dime and at the end of the lens, but it's nice, sharp, and contrasty, even wide open.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Yeah the first two clips were taken in almost complete darkness just to give you an idea how the 1.4 compares to the tamron at 2.8, not to exemplify its sharpness. And I agree about the canon f1.8, which you may want to check, I haven't seen it for $99 in years, is sharp. I owned one, until I started shooting video and off to ebay it went. I just want to spread the wealth and let everyone know that for $150 you can get a mint pentax compared to the $129 for the canon and its worlds better. Maybe not worlds better optically, although I highly prefer the Pentaxs images and 1/2 stop is always nice, but the construction and wonderful focus puts them in a different class.
Luke Gates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD