Two lenses - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 15th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Two lenses

again, john...

we're not talking about movie making in this particular thread. it's a thread about lens choices and specifically the merits of zeiss of primes vs. L series zooms.

i'm not advising people to not use canon zooms any more than you're suggesting that every use the glass bottoms of jam jars. i am however advising someone who asked a specific question that there are specific issues with canon L series zooms when used for video that need to be taken into consideration when making a lens choice.

the discussion of the merits of canon l series zooms for shooting video is on topic. this isn't a story-telling thread.

k
Karl Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #17
Major Player

"we're not talking about movie making"

Of course we are talking about movie making - what else is there?

And this is my point - the only criteria should be "will this work for the movie I am shooting for my client or my audience"

I am tired of talking to new film makers running around trying to raise money for a set of Zeiss primes when they should be out shooting instead. I had one tell me recently that zoom lenses are for consumer cameras! Ok, I am done with this topic - time to go shoot.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #18
Regular Crew

first of all, the full quote is "we're not talking about movie making IN THIS THREAD". selective ommision doesn't change the fact. my original post is directly above yours - look up and you'll see it.

this remains a thread ABOUT LENS CHOICES. a thread you originally participated in by stating: "You would get much more bang for your bucks with Canon L glass zooms."

were you sick of talking about lens choices then?

sorry man, but i can't help but think you're way off base on this. the original poster asked a reasonable question which was answered by a number of people with varying perspectives. it was only when someone presented a reassonable alternative to YOUR perspective that you argument changed and suddenly talking about lens choices was folly - we should all be out making movies.

great plan. i'd suggest starting a thread called "stop talking about lenses and start making movies".

k
Karl Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I haven't had a chance to revisit my thread for a while been so busy, but I have a buyer for my EX-1 now so I thought I'd see if anybody had replied to my question.

So the 7D will be used for a little indie work but mainly work with a non-profit film company I'm starting up. I've always liked the results of primes over zooms from what I've seen used on 35mm adapters. Though I'm not certain as to the practicality of primes in run-and-gun situations, or documentary-style film work in general.

I'm contemplating a Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 Distagon and 50mm f/1.4 ZE, but I'm not sure just how versatile those would be—although I would also have the standard 28-135mm zoom lens that comes with the camera...
Andrew Slankard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Edwards View Post
in all fairness jon, nobody shoots walls unless they're trying to illustrate a problem with a specific lens. which is what this thread is about.
No but the thread was a question regarding which two lenses he should purchase, not about exposure changes while zooming.

I have used both types of lenses and it really depends on what he wants to shoot as to what he should get.

I would look at a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 ($600), Canon 70-200 2.8L MII ($2400) and a Canon 50mm 1.4 ($450). This would take him over his budget a little, but would give him good coverage.

To each his own though....
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #21
Major Player

I stand by by the point I was making - You should not have a discussion on lens choices without talking about what films you are making and the target audience (web-theater-broadcast) - this has to dictate your choice. And if you buy lenses not knowing this then good luck!

Would I like to shoot on Zeiss primes ... of course! Are they suitable for Run and Gun work - hardly. Suitable for docs?.... it is possible but not easy - I've done it and I've missed some good shots because of it.

Now if I was working in fiction with a full crew and had the budget I would get a set of Zeiss CP2's for sure.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD