Suggestions for a quick release for the T2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #1
Trustee

Suggestions for a quick release for the T2?

Something decently sturdy (I plan on getting the Mark III whenever it comes out), but you know, cheap.

I'd be using it on a normal tripod and a flypod nano...
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Suggestions for a quick release for the T2?

Not the cheapest but I've got a Manfrotto HDV701 and it works great for the 550D/T2i I had a cheaper quick release head by Giotto and he wasn't anywhere as a good as the Manfrotto.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
Something decently sturdy (I plan on getting the Mark III whenever it comes out), but you know, cheap.

I'd be using it on a normal tripod and a flypod nano...
I bought a [

from Amazon for $34.65. Reasonably priced, it is solidly built, has two fluid levels, and worked very well in getting my T2i on and off a Flycam.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Bill - just ordered one. Another quick question - I didn't see an option to buy multiple bottom plates (or whatever they're called)..... Shoes? Base?

Whatever they're called, can you buy those separately, or do you have to buy the whole package?
Old April 15th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #5
New Boot

That link for the Giotto's MG621 is exactly what you want. The equivalent part from Manfrotto is the 577 Quick release adapter and most places charge at least $50 for them. The Giottos plate is basically the Manfrotto 501PL and as such, it fits the 701, 501, and 503HDV tripod heads. Calumet also has a copied version of the Manfrotto 577 that they "make themselves" and I would say the Giottos is of better quality (plus it has the bubble levels). The Calumet version uses a softer metal then the original Manfrotto version.

As for the plate itself, it's the Manfrotto 501PL. Again, many places make their own copies of this plate, but I would suggest the original. Even the cheaply made Calumet version is more expensive that this one is currently selling for on B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553892-REG/Manfrotto_501PL_501PL_Sliding_Quick_Release.html
Michael Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Trustee

Got it today - very fast delivery time. And it takes about 10 seconds to realize that it's a very solid tool. All metal, smooth as butter release. Def going to order 2 more of them - very good deal, thanks for the tip.

BTW - B&H has it for the same price as Amazon (who I ordered it through), but with no shipping fees.
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:13 PM   #7
New Boot

Wow - actually John I was so very wrong about this adapter plate. I had ordered two of them right before I posted last based on a suggestion from a friend. I thought we had found a true value based alternative to the (arguably) overpriced Manfrotto unit. It turns out that these are not at all the same as the Manfrotto 701/501/503 plates. Nor is this adapter the same as the 577PL from Manfrotto. I'm sorry for misinforming anyone. Certainly not a deal breaker for many people. I actually wish the quality of the Manfrotto adapter was as good as the Giotto's MG621 we discussed. The Giottos version is indeed a very nicely made part as far as quick releases go, and it has features the Manfrotto 577 lacks, but unfortunately the plate it uses is a bit too wide to be used interchangeably with the Manfrotto 501PL gear. So I'll have to return these and finally buy two of the 577PL units at around $50 each. I hope you enjoy yours and I would certainly recommend this part from Giottos to anyone that has no plans to get into the Manfrotto quick release plate game. Hopefully this will save someone else the same hassle one day though.

-Michael
Michael Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:14 AM   #8
Major Player

Look for the Calumet Quick-release Video Head Adapter, its an exact knock off.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 02:44 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
Got it today - very fast delivery time. And it takes about 10 seconds to realize that it's a very solid tool. All metal, smooth as butter release. Def going to order 2 more of them - very good deal, thanks for the tip.

BTW - B&H has it for the same price as Amazon (who I ordered it through), but with no shipping fees.
Glad that it worked out for you, John. No, I haven't figured out how to buy the quick release separately -- but the MH601 camera adapter plate is available separately for $22.90 from Adorama (backordered), or for $23.99 from

. Both have free shipping. Sorry about the Amazon shipping fees on the 621. If I had known about the free shipping at B&H, I'd have linked to it.

Best,

Bill
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:19 PM   #10
Trustee

No worries Bill! Just glad to have it - it's a very nice piece to the puzzle. I'm going to order at least 2 more - so much easier then what I'm used to.

Far as the Manfrotto thing goes, it certainly is not a deal breaker for me. Course, I don't have any manfrotto stuff!

Thanks again guys...
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD