Surfing Clip with shot 550D. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Trustee

Surfing Clip with shot 550D.

Here's I clip I shot yesterday using my new 550D. It's the first thing I've shot with it and my first time using a DSLR for anything other than B-Roll at weddings.

Lenses used were a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 and a Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5. I borrowed the Glidetrack and it was my first time using one of those also.

All footage is straight out of the camera with no CC. I used the Neutral PP with all the setttings turned down a little bit.

Let me know what you think.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Surfing Clip with shot 550D.

Not keen on the little skips/judders, as they were a little jarring, the exposed film stock thing did work well. I like the video.

Cheers

Matt
Matt Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey John... I liked it! I used to watch a lot of surfing vids growing up and I think you perfectly captured the style. What frame rate did you use? I could tell that you were playing with the speed a little bit here and there and was thinking 60P would be perfect for this.... Loved the font, what's it called?

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Harvey View Post
Not keen on the little skips/judders, as they were a little jarring
Yeah I though that too once I had it rendered and watched it at full screen. I was just too lazy to go back and change it! It looked great in the tiny little preview window in Premiere but the bigger it is the more jarring it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
Hey John... I liked it! I used to watch a lot of surfing vids growing up and I think you perfectly captured the style. What frame rate did you use? I could tell that you were playing with the speed a little bit here and there and was thinking 60P would be perfect for this.... Loved the font, what's it called?

Steve
All shot at 50p and conformed to 25p. I think next time I might try to shoot some at 60p and conform to 25p for even slower motion.

I don't know what the font is called actually! I just highlighted the text and scrolled through all the different fonts until one looked right. Then adjusted the kerning and made every second word bold.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Great video...although I've always hated hiphop crap music mixed with surfing :p

Anyhoo, some good footage. I'm planning on getting a 550D to shoot surfing videos too so was glad to this how it can turn out :D
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:03 AM   #6
Trustee

The DSLR's are a good option for surf footage as most of the limitations (4GB limit, audio) are irrelevant. There's quite a few people shooting surfing video's on DSLR's these days. At the Quiksliver Pro last month I saw more DSLR-video setups than camcorders.

Unfortunately it seems it's a trend being adopted by the 'hipster' surfing movement a la Stab magazine. Most of the footage I've seen from well known surf videographers using DSLR's is overexposed, too contrasty, too soft/out of focus, and with inappropriate shutterspeeds. It's "cool" because it's "arty" and "different" but with so many people going for that look the market is just getting flooded with junk. It's becoming more of a show-pony competition between videographers and less focused on good surfing/subject matter.

When I shoot surfing, I picture those 'hipster' surf clips in my head, and then ask myself what I can do to make my footage look as different to that as possible.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 04:41 AM   #7
Major Player

so true hahaha
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD