Pentax K mount or Canon FD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 21st, 2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pentax K mount or Canon FD?

I am getting ready to go on a shoot to Africa. I am taking a 50mm 1.8 and a 90mm 2.8 along with the kit lens. I would love to get a Sigma 30mm 1.4 before I go, but I don't think my pocket book will allow that before I leave. I have been looking at both Canon FD lens and Pentax K mount lens with adapters as a low cost option to get something a bit wider before I leave. I was hoping someone with some experience could let me know if they like one option over the other, or if I am wasting my time with both of them. Any help would be appreciated.
Andy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Pentax K mount or Canon FD?

I would go with Pentax K mount lenses over Canon FD lenses for one simple reason - there is no focal length multiplier. That is, a 50mm K mount lens is still 50mm when adapted to the EF mount, but there is a 1.25x multiplier when dealing with FD lenses. This may not be a bad thing at longer focal lengths, but is a problem if you're looking for a wide-angle lens.
Jeremy Pevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the K mount as well. The only thing that was scaring me was that I have read of people removing a tab on the Pentax K mount lenses. Depending on what you read, the tab may or may not interfere with the mirror on the camera body. Do you know anything about this?
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a number of Pentax Takumar M42 (screw mount) lenses that I use on my 7D with an adaptor. One of the lenses had a similar tab. I took the lens to a local camera repair shot and he removed the offending appendage.
Jeremy Pevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Trustee

I'd definitely try to aviod FD, as they will require an adaptor with an additional glass element. This will give you more crop as well as a much softer image.

I'm using a Pentax 50mm f/1.7 on my 550D at the moment without any problems. I believe some lenses are worse that others, and the problem is also less of an issue on APS-C cameras than of the 5Dmkii - the bigger mirror on that is more easily obstructed.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies/advice all. I read a few things in various places, but it is nice to hear from people with real world experience. I am definitely going the K mount route. From what I have gathered, the tabs on the lens are an issue on full frame mirrors and not on crop sensor bodies. I may still remove the offending tab as it seems like a pretty easy modification to make. Thanks again, as always this forum has proven invaluable.
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Major Player

If you're hoping for someone faster and wider with Pentax K or Canon FD, then I would say you're wasting your time with both of them.

You're much more likely to find a Pentax M42, Nikon or OM mount 35/2, 28/2 or 24/2. An OEM lens will likely cost the same as a Sigma 30/1.4, so you're looking for a 3rd party like a Vivitar or Kiron.

Realistically, your best economical choice is probably the kit 18-55IS lens.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I have both a Canon 5d and a T2i. My first was the 5D, and I adapted several Nikon and and Pentax lenses. I did do some minor surgery to flanges on the back of a lens or two, to avoid the mirror interference. In one case I recall just pealing of a "flance on the back of a Nikon lens. On a Pentax lens, I had to shorten a tab. Probably not a clean a job as a shop would do, but it was over and done without issue quickly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD