Frame Rate - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 7th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Frame Rate

Sorry user error, it is now public. Thanks 50fpsmov - YouTube sorry about the shaky camera!
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #17
Major Player

It looks alright. What are you expecting to see here? Should it be faster or slower?
(incidentally, doing just about anything in After Effects means re-rendering. That's unfortunately how After Effects works).
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #18
Major Player

If I use my 600D to record at 50p and I put that in a timeline which contains 25p footage from my XHA1 would the video go straight into the timeline? If not does that mean I have to convert the 50p footage into 25p and would that not mean the footage would play in slow motion as its half the speed?
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #19
Major Player

I think it depends on what you are editing in. It should be possible in most cases these days, but by default some will reinterpret the footage to match the speed of the project, others will keep the footage frame accurate and therefore slow it down. There's likely options buried somewhere that decide which the program will do.
Likewise, if you convert it you can probably do it in those two ways as well: maintain time or maintain frames.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Lau View Post
You can use Apple cinema tools to conform the 50p to whatever speed you want. Remember to duplicate the original file as conforming in Cinema Tools would affect the original footage.

You should also shoot at least 100 shutter speed. But the faster the shutter, the better the slow mo should be. I read somewhere that 1000 is a good number... But a lot of this is trial and error... I wish I had time to trial and error myself.

Oh, and isn't there rumors that the 5D mk3 will have full hd 60p... Very tempting.
If you're shooting 50p or 60p and plan to further slow the footage using 3rd party software in post, you should still set your shutter to 1/125. There is no need to set it more than that. Apart from being unnecessary, it will light restrict you in production (unless you are basked in sunlight).

The 180-degree shutter rule no longer applies once you enter the realms of 3rd party slow-mo software like Shake or Twixtor, they are processing and stretching the footage by using algorithms to guess/invent/blend missing frames between frames. Shutter is now irrelevant.

And yes, I have tested this many, many, many times.

I long for the day a major camera manufacturer grows a pair of balls like Casio did in 2008 and come out with some decent FPS speeds we can use for slow motion work. AF-101 has 60fps at 1080p which is the best the market can offer at the moment within acceptable price tags.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #21
Major Player

25P vs 50P

So I have done some tests with my 600D and shooting at 1280x720@50fps 1/100 seems like the better option. Any kind of panning at 25fps needs to be really slow to avoid the choppy look but at 50fps it looks great. 50fps also gives me more options in post so I don't really see a down side to it.

Choppy movie at 25fps http://asianbridalmakeupartist.co.uk/tariq/mov.mov yellow toy last 4 seconds.

Last edited by Tariq Peter; October 20th, 2011 at 05:36 AM.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD