Slider Framerate? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 20th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Slider Framerate?

Hi,

I have taken quite a lot of footage using my t3i and Konova slider at 1920 full HD of objects such as trees and railings, which gives my scenes a greater feel of depth. My main issue is sometimes I moved the slider a little to fast and when I slow it down in FCPX with frame blending I see horrible ghosting around the objects closest to my camera. Has anybody else experienced this? Using a slider on a cold wintery day with perfecting precision is quite tuff.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Slider Framerate?

For weddings I always shoot 25p, and take extra care, but for everything else I shoot with the slider I use 720p50 and slow it down in post. It smooths out a lot of the uneven speed, and makes it easier to shoot because you don't have to go as slow, knowing that you'll be slowing it down later anyway.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Major Player

You will get more ghosting with frame blending as that's how it works (creating the new frames by blending two or more together).
Obviously if the speed's a little too high there's not a great deal you can do. However you can sometimes get acceptable results from other interpolation methods. I don't know what FCP has these days. Adobe has one called Pixel Motion and their Frame Mix seems a bit more flexible than the usual frame blend.
Of course, there's third party interpolators as well. The one that gets a lot of good notices is Twixtor.

Much about how well they work can depend on the footage or course (Pixel Motion for one goes a bit nuts if there are a lot of intersecting details in a scene. This can look cool, but is rarely the desired effect)
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Many thanks for your replies, it did not even occur to me that I could just go down to 720p and slow it down in post! I'll do some tests and report back with the results. Thanks again!
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD