Using the Glidecam 2000 pro with a T2i or a 60D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 30th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Using the Glidecam 2000 pro with a T2i or a 60D

I've read that there is a bit of a learning curve on the balancing aspect of the Glide cam pro. If I do use it, I'll be renting it so I won't have a huge amount of time to figure it out.

Has anyone here used it? How difficult is it to use / balance with a lighter camera like a T2i or a 60D?
Christine Carstairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Using the Glidecam 2000 pro with a T2i or a 60D

Hi Christine, when you hire the Glidecam, make sure you get a docking bracket with it. This slots onto something like a light stand and allows you to balance the rig without having to keep putting it down to adjust things. Glidecam HD-Series Docking Bracket

Without this you'll be struggling to adjust it. Get the hire company to include a quick release plate, like the Manfrotto, for quickly putting the camera on and off.

When you put your camera onto it, make sure it has everything you will be using, mic, monitor etc. etc.

You might find it quite heavy, so think about your shots before you pick it up!!

If you've not used one before, I'd be inclined to hire one for the week end and just play with it, before attempting anything serious.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Trustee

I will second everything Peter said. I use a 4000HD with a vest/arm regularly and it took about a month to get proficient enough at it to use on a paying gig. Even balanced, there's a learning curve on how to walk and turn smoothly enough to keep your horizon level. Takes a lot of practice. Without the vest, you will run into fatigue as your biggest challenge. I flew a T2i for a while on the Blackbird and got decent results but after half an hour my arm was done. If you can get the vest, do it. I have worn the rig for up to 6 hours on a shoot without issue.

Other thing to remember is you don't have autofocus so you either have to use high aperture settings or mark your path and distance to the subject's path to keep them in focus. Wide angle lenses work best. I used my Tokina 11-16 or Canon 16-35 with great results. My buddy flies a 5D on a Pilot with vest/arm and he uses the 16-35 as well.
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree. Definitely consider renting a vest as well! Especially if you will be flying for more than 30 minutes, especially if you haven't before! When fatigue kicks in it shows in your shots. Flying takes a lot of practice but a vest will at the very least give you one less thing to worry about.

As far as balancing the system itself, I don't think you will have any issue...just follow the great advice given here.

Robert, what vest did you go with? I plan on purchasing one this year.

Best,

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:58 AM   #5
New Boot

Thank you Peter, Robert and John for all the great advice and tips!

I think I was so worried about balance issues, the weight / fatigue factor of using the Glidecam hadn't even occurred to me. Definitely something to keep in mind. Based on the feedback, it's worth getting some practice in.
Christine Carstairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have a Glidecam 2000 and a vest that I use with my 5D and T2i. I highly recommend the vest since flying without it will wear your arm out pretty fast. Balancing can take a little while. There are a couple of great videos online that show you how to do it properly. Make sure that the camera is in the exact condition it will be in when you are shooting with it before balancing it. That includes taking the lens cap off too. Yes even something as light as a lens cap can throw things off if it isn't removed until after you balance everything.

Whoever is going to be flying this thing should try practicing with a cup of water. Fill a cup to the brim with water and try to walk around without spilling it. That is a good exercise to learn how to walk properly.

Also, I would balance the glidecam the night before a shoot. There is a good chance that it would be thrown off on it's ride to the location, but at least it will be close to balanced and getting it dialed in won't take as long.

Like others said, get a wide angle lens. For a t2i, I would recommend something around the mid 20s or lower. I have a Canon 24mm 1.4L that works well. Also, forget about trying to pull focus while shooting. I am not saying this it is impossible, but it is incredibly difficult to do without affecting the shots smooth movement. Shoot 5.6 or higher if you can and be block your action accordingly.
Brad Ballew is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD