Continuous recording with T2i.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 21st, 2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Continuous recording with T2i..

OK, so magic lantern allows recording to restart automatically once a clip reaches its max and stops. However, how long could you let it run like that? How does the T2i do as far as overheating? If I wanted to have one shooting a continuous wide shot during a wedding unattended could I do that without the camera shutting down? I am aware that I lose a couple of seconds between recordings.
Brad Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:31 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Continuous recording with T2i..

I haven't done any rigorous testing to confirm this, but I believe the overheating problem is reduced when a battery grip is used. My T2i used to overheat fairly frequently until I got a grip, and it hasn't overheated since.
Jon Onstot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yea, you can use a battery grip, but you can also turn the bit rate down and turn the lcd screen off during recording. These are things that I have found to help out with overheating. Since it will be unmanned, there is no need to have the lcd run during recording. Every time I do this, this will almost certainly make sure that it doesn't overheat. These are both options you can achieve with magic lantern!
Keith Betters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for the responses. A battery grip would probably be a good idea anyway if I am going to attempt that type of shooting.
Brad Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Similar to turning off lcd. I found that using a monitor also helped with the overheating.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Major Player

I use a 550d/t2i with the 11-16 tokina as a c cam at almost all af my weddings ( wide cam on rear balcony)

Using magic lantern, battery grip and a 32gb card (class 10, in my tests class 6 cards had issues)

The memory card fills up before the battery(s) run out, and that's without any power saving options from magic lantern. ( which is about 90 mins worth of 12 minute clips )

Done this for about 50 weddings , never had any issues (touch wood)

I also use loads of the other features that magic lantern provide, magic zoom, WB Kelvin to name 2.
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Major Player

battery grips, on-board, LCD off, monitor over HDMI (on main camera), and i have never had an overheat warning. Sandisk 8/16GB Class 10.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Battery grip +1. It increases the time before T2i got overheated. Also, good for doubling the run time. Also turning off the LCD screen does have an impact too. I put together some test on T2i to see how long it started to show the overheat icon.

Canon T2i Overheat Test | L.A. Color Blog
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #9
Major Player

Another time I was handholding the camera and it seemed to overheat very quickly. Must be my hot hands.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I feel like an idiot. I cannot figure out how to turn off the LCD screen during recording. Is this an option in Magic Lantern? I am not seeing an option for it. I will keep looking, but if someone could enlighten me, it would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Never mind just figured it out.
Brad Ballew is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD