Decent microphone for 60D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 19th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Decent microphone for 60D?

I just got the 60D, and I'm blow away by the photo and video quality, but not so much by the tiny mono microphone. I tried two things, an Azden SMX10 microphone I've had for years, which is not terrible but has a lot of hiss, and I had read about some people using the Zoom H1 connected to the mic input, and that has a far worse hiss than the Azden.

I'm trying to get a stereo sound quality that matches the built in microphone in my Canon XF100, which to me is excellent, crisp, realistic sounds without any hiss, even when in a silent day out in the yard. I really can't spend $500 on a microphone because I'm already paying thousands between these two cameras, but I would like to find an inexpensive option that doesn't have so much hiss. I know that it's difficult and usually if you want quality you have to pay for it, but I found many items that don't cost much and are still of good quality.

Any recommendations?
Sebastian Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Decent microphone for 60D?

I got the rode video mic i think it was $150 well worth it seems to do a good job
Tom Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Tom, but I believe that one is mono. It doesn't say on the website, but it says it's directional, and most of those are mono with a few exceptions.
Sebastian Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:28 AM   #4
New Boot

If you have an H1, you might wnt to try using an attenuator cable to reduce the line level signal out the Zoom. There are threads on the topic for connecting an H4N to a camera. Not sure if the same applies to the H1; perhaps others here will know.
Jon Onstot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The Rode stereo Videomic Pro should fit the bill very well ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839897-REG/Rode_STEREO_VIDEOMIC_PRO_Sterei_VideoMic_Pro.html

Cheers.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:40 AM   #6
Major Player

I've never found stereo microphones mounted on camera's all that useful. Especially X-Y microphones as they just widen the pickup field and make it more likely to get camera operator noise. Now M-S mics can be used in either stereo or mono arrangements, but the Rode stereo mic is X-Y. I have the Rode VideoMic Pro and it works well. Not great sounding, but passable. I'm waiting for the VideoMic HD which should solve a lot of problems.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Major Player

I also recommend the VideoMic Pro. It's not the best but it's perfect for run and gun.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I agree. I have it on my 7D. It is pretty susceptible to wind noise (even with the Rode deadcat on it) but is, I think, the best solution for run-n-gun, i.e. when you can't do double system sound.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

It depends on your application. If you are filming with lots of dialog, and you want to filter side and rear noise, then you will need a shotgun mic. they are mono. Rode VideoMic or Rode VideoMic Pro is a popular choice.

If you need to record concert, ambient sound, stereo, then Rode Stereo VideoMic is good for that purpose.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:19 PM   #10
Inner Circle

If you're shooting dialogue with a shotgun on location and it's windy, even though you have a windscreen fitted .. if possible, try and mic the talent at 90 degrees to the direction the wind is coming from.

Cheers.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Major Player

Actually I was looking for something less expensive, say $100 or so. Price aside, I really don't like how that $300 Rode stereo mic looks at all. But for now I'm still using the Zoom H1 on top of the camera, I played with the levels and realized that the hiss was because the input level on the H1 was low, the output level was also low, and the input level on the 60D was high. I did some tests and set the rec level in the H11 to 80, the output to 50 and the input level in the camera to about a quarter. That gives me good sound without much hiss. The only problem is that the thing I use to put the H1 in the shoe doesn't have any vibration absorption, so I have to find a better one.
Sebastian Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD