Canon 650D/T3i jerky video when sliding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 18th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon 650D/T3i jerky video when sliding

Hi all,

I am using a Canon EOS650D on a slider and most of the shots are jerky...as if there is some kind of image stabilisation at play trying to compensate for the sideways movement of the camera. The lens I am using does not have IS - a TAMRON 18-200mm AF. The jerky motion doesn't show up clearly on the LCD when I am shooting (sometimes it does) but the jerkiness is indeed quite bad.

Is there some kind of internal image stabilisation on a 650D that can be turned off? I can't find any info on it anywhere.

I know I am getting older, but surely I can't be getting THAT shaky!! :-)

Cheers,

David
David Cleverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Canon 650D/T3i jerky video when sliding

No. You need a lens with IS, first of all.

2nd, the T3i is just a light camera, so it's going to jerk and shake more than heavier cams when you move it, On a slider with an IS lens, this will mean you can't use the first and last second of the glide when you push it because it will still be reacting to the force. Same reason we dumped the cheaper tripods... they were too stiff to move and the cameras kept shaking.

It does show up on the LCD, it's just that the LCD is so small it's hard to notice. Anything you spot in LCD will be magnified by many orders once it's on a TV 10-20 times bigger. You see some folks get a 7" external monitor to help with that - it also makes manual focus easier.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Robert.

I thought perhaps I had missed something in the settings somewhere (that I couldn't find).

I had a 550D and used it with the same slider for a couple of years and didn't suffer this problem.

it really does look like a stabiliser is trying to compensate for the movement.

Anyway, thanks for your info.

DC
David Cleverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Major Player

No, you don't necessarily need a lens with IS on it...we use the t3i, 60D and MarkII on sliders with non-IS lenses and its just fine. We use the tamron 17-50 and 28-75 or Rokinon 14mm on a Glidetrack and Konova sliders.Maybe you can add a footage of what the shakiness looks like?

Cheers,

Kren
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Two thoughts.. how fast are you sliding, and are you using the rubber band trick to provide a consistent force on the pull direction?

I've also had no issues with my t2i unless I jerk the pull myself or go too fast.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD