Canon T2i HDMI no longer working... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon T2i HDMI no longer working...

Hi all,

I am really hoping something didn't break on my T2i. I just ordered a nice IKAN 8" 1600x768 monitor, and also am dying to use my Shuttle 2 recorder now that I finally got the "valid" SSD to work with it.

So.. it was working before, I have 3 different mini-hdmi to hdmi cables. I've tried all three, and I've tried plugging it in to my Shuttle 2 which works fine, but the video signal doesn't work. I've also tried on 3 different TVs with HDMI including trying directly to HDMI input or to my receiver HDMI switching input. None of it works. The LCD screen still goes out when I plug in the mini-hdmi. The camera otherwise works.. I can switch modes and I hear things happen. When I unplug it, the LCD comes back, just like it did when the output was working.

I've read that sometimes cables don't work, so I just ordered a new one that all the comments indicate it works with the T2i, t3i, etc. So I am hoping it truly is just a cable issue, although I don't understand why 3 diff cables wouldn't work when they all worked before.

I also tried a SD card without Magic Lantern firmware, and with it, no difference.

Worse case scenario, if there is a problem, is this something possibly fixable by a camera service store? I plan on buying the Black Magic pocket cinema camera when it becomes available, but would still like to use this as a b-roll video camera with my Shuttle 2 recorder.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon T2i HDMI no longer working...

So I tried another cable, also in the menu system there is an option for Control over HDMI which I remembered that I recently enabled.. not sure what it does exactly. So I disabled that and still, sadly no video out from hdmi. Bad enough my dang DR-40 headphone jack got bent and I can't monitor my audio any more, but now I can't even monitor my video. I can't believe that the camera works in every other way, but some how hdmi out stopped working.
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Major Player

I can't believe I am the only one on this forum (or those that read this) that have this dang problem, be it with any DSLR with HDMI out. How the heck does the HDMI out stop working. or at least sending a video signal, while everything else works fine?

I am waiting on a canon mini to hdmi cable.. supposed to be working from all reviews.. I hope it truly is the cable, but 3 cables, four monitors, still not working. Even tried my Ikan monitor that I got yesterday, still nothing.
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hey Kevin,

First, if you ordered a Canon-branded HDMI cable, I strongly urge you to return it. That is a drastically overpriced item and there will be *no* functional difference between it and any other decent-quality HDMI cable that you already have. So be sure to send it back and recover whatever money you spent on it.

Second, where in the state of California are you located? Are you by chance in Orange County? If so, you could simply drive the camera over to the CUSA service center right there in Irvine on Monday. Or if you're not within driving distance, just call them and inquire as to how to send it to them for service. It sounds to me like you might have a blown HDMI jack on that camera.

Canon USA in Irvine, CA -- location: https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...19239806363409

Tel.: (949) 932-3135

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Chris. I agree, the canon specific cord is too costly, I found one for like $8 and figured I'd try though. Got it today, just tried it, no video. Really really bummed right now. I can imagine the cost to ship and get this fixed is going to be several hundred or more, which is not worth it given that I can buy a new t3i for like 450 or so, but I can't spend that money now anyway. Really pisses me off that I've had it for just over a year and this happened, especially since I barely used it (the hdmi out). Finally get a chance to record to my shuttle 2 and also bought a monitor, and it doesn't work!

Thanks for the info, I called the number but got some voice mail.. didn't sound like a service shop. I'll try looking them up see if one is around the Sacramento area I live near.

Called again, Caroline answered. Apparently the number you gave and what is on google is no longer to canon but to caroline. She says she gets called a lot for Canon. Oh well. Maybe they're not there any more.
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Yowza, can't believe that wrong number is listed on Google!

Let me see if I can get a good CUSA service center contact number for you.

Old April 29th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Kevin try calling this number:

(866) 510-1335

Let me know if it works...

Old April 30th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Major Player

That number worked.. thanks. So it will run $210 + shipping, not guaranteed it won't cost more. But I can't imagine it would.. why? Because they have a royalty option that I can trade in my current for another T2i refurbished for $268. They say they are "returned" overstocked T2is, so basically brand new. I can't imagine why anyone would pay for a fix instead of a potentially close to brand new unit for $60 more. I can't find any body-only option on the net for less than $450 right now, and those are refurbished too. Amazing to me that the T2i, with 3 newer models already out, still costs so much. I realize the t3/4/5 i don't add that much more in terms of quality over the T2i, but still you'd think a camera they no longer make would sell for a lot less if they had stock and want to make room for the newer ones.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD