Use Contax lenses on 60D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 10th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Use Contax lenses on 60D?

Got a question here on using Contax / Yashica mount lenses on the Canon 60D. My aunt just gave me several lenses she had used on her Contax 167M. That is a 35m SLR that dates back to the 1980's, I believe.
One of the lenses is a beautiful 100mm f2.8 macro Zeiss. I have read up on it, and it has a pretty solid reputation for sharpness, etc.
The opther lenses are the Contax 50mm f1.7, and the Contax 35-70mm f3.4. These are all lenses built by Zeiss for the Contax line of non-AF SLR's.
Is there anyone now using that lens with their 60D or 7D? If so, what adapter is the one to get? My research there has only turned up cheap under $10 examples that I don't know are trust-worthy.
Any comments and advice would be most welcome!
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Use Contax lenses on 60D?

Hi Steve,

It is not possible to convert the Y/C (Contax/Yashica) mount to EOS, so I'll give you $20 for that 100mm 2.8 Zeiss. ;-)

Seriously...I bought a Contax 167M as part of a kit with a Zeiss 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4 a few years ago. They work great with the Y/C to EOS mount I got from Fotodiox. I bought the cheaper $20 model.
Search results for: 'yashica to eos'
Old June 21st, 2013, 12:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Mark, thanks for your response.
Yeah, I went and got the more expensive ($59) version and slapped it on the 100mm. Works great, so far. Just got it yesterday, I hope to do some semi-serious testing with it tomorrow.
I also have the 50mm f1.7, and the 35-70mm f3.4. I will try the one you ordered. Has it shown any signs of loosening up over time?
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Steve,

You are welcome. The adapter still fits nicely without any signs of play or looseness. However when the 60D was my primary camera I used the Zeiss 50mm quite a bit. Sometimes when I would be in a hurry to change lenses I wouldn't get the lens release button pushed in all of the way and when I twisted the lens, the lens would occasionally come off adapter, leaving the adapter on the camera. It was not big deal, just remove the adapter from the camera and mount it back on the lens.

I have never experience this with my Zeiss 85mm, so I just assumed it was a combination of being in a hurry and 2+ year of use.

Enjoy your lenses. They are great lenses and you can't beat the price. I wish my aunt had some old C/Y mount Zeiss lenses.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD