Magic Lantern on 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 30th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Magic Lantern on 7D

Hi guys quick questions for you, I have loaded the ML on my 7D, this is the thing every time the screens shuts off ML disappears, also I cant find the shutter lock on the screen, does it even come with it?
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 02:10 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Magic Lantern on 7D

The ML for 7D is still at alpha stage and unless you are savy with the hack I don't recommend you use it for serious work at this time.

They have not even included the autoboot on it so you have to load it everytime you turn on the camera.

I am an ML user for the 5D mk 2 and have not begun using it until it was stable already.

You can get many questions answered here; Magic Lantern Forum - Index
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ted, the ML on my 60D really spoiled me, I have been using it for a while with no issues, oh well I guess I have to live without it while shooting on the 7D.
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Major Player

As you found out ML only works until you power off. When you restart you have to reload ML. Apparently they could make it work but it would infringe on the Canon firmware rules making it illegal. So ML programmers do not want the wrath of Canon. Just wait I am sure they will find a workaround.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey Brillantes View Post
Thanks Ted, the ML on my 60D really spoiled me, I have been using it for a while with no issues, oh well I guess I have to live without it while shooting on the 7D.
I hear ya, I too have a 7D and I'm itching for them to get it done so I can get better HDR motion by using 60p which my 5D2 does not have.

I was getting kinda impatient but then I got excited again with the recent progress they are making with DNG raw and YUV 422 recording on the 5D and hopefully soon on the 7D as well.

I'm testing the nightly builds and so far I can do 51 frames or 2+ seconds of DNG raw "video" they have achieved 400 frames on the 5d3 already.
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
As you found out ML only works until you power off. When you restart you have to reload ML. Apparently they could make it work but it would infringe on the Canon firmware rules making it illegal. So ML programmers do not want the wrath of Canon. Just wait I am sure they will find a workaround.
On my case the ML doesn't reload when my screen shuts off, once I hit the record button and my screen turns on, the ML is gone.
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

what happens when you change out a battery? Does that require reloading again as well?
Old May 16th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
I hear ya, I too have a 7D and I'm itching for them to get it done so I can get better HDR motion by using 60p which my 5D2 does not have.

I was getting kinda impatient but then I got excited again with the recent progress they are making with DNG raw and YUV 422 recording on the 5D and hopefully soon on the 7D as well.

I'm testing the nightly builds and so far I can do 51 frames or 2+ seconds of DNG raw "video" they have achieved 400 frames on the 5d3 already.
This would make my year! The 7D quality makes me wince now I've been using the C100. If I could have RAW full HD on it it would be incredible news!
Richard Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #9
Trustee

Richard,

That post was in May 1st. Progress is being made every hour! Currently I can now record raw dng video on my 5DMKII. Due to my slow card, I can only do short bursts in 1880x1080. In lower modes I can record longer.
I'm getting a fast 1000x CF to be able to do that.

As of now developers are still stuck with regards to the 7D. They might be able to get it to work similar to 5DmkII

I posted my test with 5DMKII here:

Old May 16th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Nice images Ted!

Do you think that because of the Dual Digic in the 7D, we may not be limited to lower resoultion than full HD?
Richard Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Major Player

Keep hoping for some of this to trickle down to the 7D.

TOTALLY off top - Ted - that was beautiful sax music to go along with your wonderful footage. Who was that?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #12
Trustee

@John Richard

Thanks, that music was from my old Corel music Library. The library's song don't have titles, just classifications.

@Richard Collins

I'm no coding expert, but just to relay what developers are saying, as of yesterday, they said at least to expect 7D to be equal in capability with 5D2. But who knows, it's a work in progress.

At least there is an alpha for the 7D, I don't use it yet since its a very early version and requires you to load it everytime you turn on the camera.
Old May 25th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #13
Major Player

Ted, where did you see that they are looking at the 7d for the raw recording?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #14
Trustee

Ron,

Last info from the developers is they want the raw recording to be stable on the mkII and mkII before porting it to other cameras.

No raw recording yet on the 7D, I only mentioned about the current alpha which does not include raw video.
Old May 28th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #15
Major Player

I'm guessing that it won't be long It's working on 550d, 600d, 50d and 60d as well as the 5d mk II and III
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD