Full HD on Canon EOS 5D Mk. II -- officially announced - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old October 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #271
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmol Mishra View Post
Even if its not parfocal, you can still set the aperture and then focus for film purposes. The 3rd party zoom lenses from Sigma, Tamron, Tokina should still be fine..
It really does not matter if you focus first and then set aperture or if you set aperture first and then focus.
I'm not talking about changing aperture, I'm talking about changing zoom - the traditional way to focus with a video camera is to zoom all the way in on your subject, focus, then zoom back out to compose your shot. This only works though if the lens holds focus while zooming and my understanding is that if it's not parfocal this technique will not work.
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #272
Regular Crew

yes it would be nice if some one could post a decent all purpose zoom the can hold focus,
could be from any manufacturer.
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #273
Inner Circle

Do a Google search for "Canon parfocal zoom" and you'll find some good info on this topic.
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #274
Regular Crew

For those of us that use VLC for video playback... you'll need to do the following to
get VLC to playback the 5D MkII footage... (gleaned from a different site)

H.264 codecs are pretty CPU intensive and VLC can't use multi-cores to decode it yet.

1. Open Tools/ Preferences
2. Click Show settings = All
3. Go to "Input/Codecs
4. Go to "Other codecs/ FFmpeg" subcategory
5. Set "Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding" to ALL
6. Restart VLC
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #275
Major Player

What Type of Video CoDec is Actually Used on the 5d Mark II?

I thought I knew the answer to this, as Canon described it as an H.264/MPEG-4 format, using a 38.6 Mbps rate. However, another announcement by Canon, in describing its new Digic-4 processor, gives some confusing information. They say that the video format with Digic-4 cameras will be a non B-frame (keyframe) type of H.264. They also say that about 6 MB of storage is needed for each second of HD video in the SX1 camera, which would give it a 48 Mbps rate. Elsewhere, in the SX1 owner's manual, it says that a 42.4 Mbps rate is used. Doesn't all MPEG-4 encoding use a B-frame or keyframe system? Does the SX1 ultrazoom/fixed-lens camera (About $600.-$700. predicted price), have a different video encoding system than the 5D Mark II? And does the SX1 use an even higher bit-rate?

Maybe, someone can straighten this out for me. Actually, having an HD video-capable camera as low-cost as the SX1 and with its great lens power and such a high bit-rate, with non B-frame encoding, would interest me. Here's the link to this Canon annoucement:

Canon Tips Off Enhanced Capabilities of Its New Image Processor -- Tech-On!

Last edited by J. Stephen McDonald; October 11th, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #276
Inner Circle

Apparently, it uses only I and P frames. B frames look forward and backward, and are more complicated to create.

In compression, the decoder is specified. You can encode anything you want, as long as it can be decoded by a standard decoder. So decoders are required to understand B frames. Encoders aren't required to produce them.
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #277
Major Player

Just a random tidbit, when I posted on the 12th that it would have it, it wasn't speculation, I knew someone who used it. This a comment based on the thread Chris closed (rightly so) where I criptically made it sound like speculation, I just couldn't reveal my sourse is all.
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #278
Inner Circle

I freely admit that I haven't yet seen much from this camera, but it seems to me that comparing to an HD video camera is in the same sphere as comparing a DSLR stills camera to snapping a shot on a mobile phone. Or am I being a bit harsh?!
Steve
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #279
Regular Crew

well it's more like if that mobile phone had 8 mega pix and mini interchangeable lenses. That's why this 5d is raising so many eyebrows. The only thing really missing is 24p

speaking of which does anybody know how that's going, any word from canon?
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #280
Inner Circle

What does it need 24P for? Surely no-one is seriously thinking of using this for cinema release?!
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #281
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Surely no-one is seriously thinking of using this for cinema release?!
You're right. Instead they're seriously thinking of using the Nikon D90 D-SLR for cinema release, since it is indeed equipped with 24p.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #282
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
What does it need 24P for? Surely no-one is seriously thinking of using this for cinema release?!
If you are going to make a low/no budget feature length film with a Sony EX1 with a Letus, why not use the Mark II 5D? Better control, better low light, less noise at high gain. You would be recording the audio separately anyway. Used properly I can see this camera giving better results than an EX1/Letus combo.

Of course, you still aren't going to really need 24p, because seriously, what are the chances of needing to really go out to a film print?
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #283
Regular Crew

Isn't 24p motion part of the cine look?

But Honestly I am one of the guys that can't see the emperors new cloths. I have never really *seen* 24p or any frame rate difference for that matter. But I know what looks like film and what doesn't.
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #284
Inner Circle

Tyler, you must be joking?!!!
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #285
Regular Crew

Idono I think tyler might be right. I never liked the ex/lex combo almost perfferd a stock hvx.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD