Canon 5D2 manual lens question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 25th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon 5D2 manual lens question

i read somewhere... here I believe that the video mode works with Nikon manual lenses with the adapter ring. Can I get confirmation on this? Also (obviously not a Canon SLR guy -yet) does older Canon glass work with newer bodies? Always a nice thing with the new Nikons is that they work with all the old lenses (metering, etc aside). In other words you don't error-out the camera.

Anyone?
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Older Canon glass (FD) doesn't work on new bodies (EF) because of the flange focal length is shorter. If you give up infinity focus, it can be air space mounted, like with an extension tube. A rare converter exists with glass to allow infinity focus, but it reduces quality (like a TC).

There are a number of adapters for using Nikon glass on Canon cameras with stop-down metering and manual focus. I can't confirm they also work in video mode, but I don't see why not.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Any first hand accounts of manual lens use with the 5d2? I have a Nikon to Canon adapter and want to now if my old manual Nikon's will work...
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Brusin View Post
Any first hand accounts of manual lens use with the 5d2?
We need first hand accounts of the 5D2 before we can get
any first hand accounts of manual lens use with the 5D2.

Still a few days to go before the 5D2 is released into the hands of U.S. buyers.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris,

Should have mine today. Will let you all know later.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Congrats, Dan! I'm looking forward to your report!
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Major Player

I've been out shooting all evening on my 5DmkII, I'll report in full later. Overall very good but there are some issues. Manual lenses function as predicted.

Dan
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM   #8
Major Player

Very curious,
Dan, you will be shooting in video mode with both Canon & Nikon glass, correct?

Can't wait
J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Major Player

John,

I've been shooting Nikon and Zeiss glass tonight mainly to test if it works as predicted. Also it is far and we know that the Canon lenses can be made to work at or near full aperture in these conditions thanks to Vincent Laforet, what we don't know is how well they work in daylight. I'll test EF lenses in the day tomorrow.

Dan
Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I've heard that some of the Nikon lenses will stick too far back and would hit the Canon Full Frame's mirror. I heard that one of those lenses was the Nikon 50mm f/1.4. But I wasn't sure if they were referring to the old style or one of Nikon's newer lenses. It would be unfortunate as that would be a great lens to have. Anyone know which lenses won't work?
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #11
Major Player

what about Mamiya, Contax and Hassy?? ;)
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM   #12
Major Player

Medium format lenses should work fine, they sell adapters for these on Ebay too, but remember that they are normally not very fast aperture. For that shallow depth of field look you will need faster lenses.

Dan
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:46 PM   #13
Major Player

Many Olympus work too. Post what your looking for to get specific help.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:57 PM   #14
Regular Crew

So as I understand it, right now the way to have the most manual control over 5dMkII video is to shoot with non-Canon lenses (Nikon etc), and trick the shutter to 1/60? Do we have footage of locked 1/60th video? Most of the clips to date are variable...
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:12 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Koo View Post
So as I understand it, right now the way to have the most manual control over 5dMkII video is to shoot with non-Canon lenses (Nikon etc), and trick the shutter to 1/60? Do we have footage of locked 1/60th video? Most of the clips to date are variable...
So what do you think about this? Set your aperture on your manual lens closed down one stop more than what you want your final exposure to be and let the camera adjust exposure. Next, shine a flash light into the camera forcing it to go to 1/60 shutter while keeping your aperture constant. Once you trick the camera to go 1/60, lock the exposure. Now open your aperture one stop and you should have your exposure.

Right?

Of course this won't work if the camera changes ISO when you try to "trick" it.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD