Some 5D Mk. II notes on AE, and images of the camera and box - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
It amazes me just how far and wide this thread has been linked, after just a couple of weekend days.
I posted a link to this thread and an excerpt to the Digital Wedding Forum. I hope that was OK. Thanks for the information!
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lipats View Post
The D90 aliasing can be removed in post
When you remove aliasing, you lose resolution. So much for HD.

Where the D90 really falls apart is where there are a lot of details, due to the compression. Cobblestones will be sharp in some areas, but turn to mush in others. Same with leaves, waves, etc.

I really wanted to love and buy the D90, but it didn't happen.

Quote:
Scarlet is going to make things interesting for sure, but I am still getting the 5D Mk II.
Jim claims that they should clear the backorders by Fall 2009. We will see...

I expect Scarlet to beat the 5D2 in picture quality, video-related features, and audio, but not until after NAB. For the time being, the 5D2 is the king of low-light DOF on a budget.

I wonder what 5D2 rental prices will be...
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #33
Major Player

I agree, the D90 just won't cut it.

The 5D2 picture quality not perfect. I don't doubt Scarlet will beat it but I bet it will still have the advantage in some regards. What I don't expect is Scarlet to have a sensor anywhere near 35mm size, competitive low light performance (especially with a fixed zoom lens), or an interchangeable lens mount. I hope I'm wrong, I'm looking forward to Scarlet too but I'm not looking forward to returning to 35mm adapters. I don't mean to start more Scarlet speculation, so I will leave it at that.

We will know soon, about 23 hours remaining :)

Looks like Nikon is due to make a possibly significant announcement too.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Yeah, we'll find out soon enough about Scarlet.

The one thing we can be pretty certain about is that Scarlet will have nice bit depth, based on RED's RAW format. Maybe they'll announce Redcode2, but we can be pretty sure that they won't take a step backward in this regard. We can also bet that Scarlet will have more frame rate options.

So, if Scarlet is <35mm and has a fixed lens, it won't match the 5D in low light DOF, but you'll be able to color grade the snot out of it, compared to anything else this side of a RED ONE (or film). At that point it all depends on the context: use the 5D for a shallow DOF romance; use Scarlet for a wildly colored horror film.

As always, there's not a single "best." There's a best choice for each specific job.

Speaking of which, our next project will have a film noir look. We don't necessarily need a shallow DOF. And our color grading will be a piece of cake - mostly de-saturation. What we need are good, clean shadows without crushing the blacks, and clean, detailed textures. (And we need some good post tools for adding realistic, film-like grain.) We'll probably rent a Canon A1 or H1, given Scarlet's schedule.
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
The AE adjustment order is ISO (gain), followed by shutter speed, followed by aperture.
Hi Chris and all. I'm not sure I understand. I can choose exposure (pointing the camera where I want the camera to expose) and I can lock that exposure for my shot, but I have to live with different gain levels between (different) shots since ISO IS FIRST in adjustment order?
Isn't this a major problem for you?

Maybe I miss something related to the Canon HV AE lock "trick" you mention. Can you point me to the right thread?

Many thanks.
Alvise
Alvise Tedesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #36
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Alvise, the order of change that I listed is effective only when the camera is left in AE. Once you lock the exposure, nothing changes from that point forward (until you unlock it). Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD