How about good quality Audio? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 10th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #76
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schoenfeld View Post
Hey everyone,

Michael Schoenfeld here,

I use the Zoom H4 - it's pretty good based upon what mic you attach.

I have two options - Beer, and champagne.

Sennheiser G2 with a Countryman B6 (Beer)

Schoeps CMIT5 (Champagne)

The tricky part is not to forget that the "normal" file will be 30P, NOT 29.97 in the US of A, so it needs to be conformed with some tool so the movie AND the audio file will sync perfectly.

I conform all my files with MPEG Streamclip to 29.97 and the audio sync works that way - the timeline wants to make the clip "out of sync" with the H4 file because of this stupid Canon thing - why oh why Canon, are you not making this camera pro friendly (I "know" the answer (as good as anyone can) so no flames, please).

The nikon and zeiss glass is the only way to fly with this beast right now - thanks Canon,

Michael Schoenfeld
Just to clarify, are you having synch problems when putting 5d footage on a 29.97 timeline or are you having problems even on a 30.00 fps timeline? I ask because I ran some tests of several long clips (using MP3s captured simultaneously with a microtrack II) and with Vegas I'm seeing something on the order of perhaps 10ms of drift across a 13+ minute segment. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not the project is set at 29.97 or 30.00 fps.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #77
Major Player

People, this is not that difficult to understand. No one should be expecting perfect sync for long periods, it really is that simple.

If you are: (1) using a separate device to record audio and (2) not fully timecode jammed/synced, then drift will -- in all likelihood -- occur to some extent or another. That's true for even the most pro recorders in existence and may occur regardless of 30 or 29.97 fps or 44.1 vs. 48 kHz. Even two SD744s will potentially drift from one another over extended times if they aren't jammed, and that's two of the exact same high end units.

So, if you don't have drift problems over extended periods, you should consider yourself lucky, and if you do have drift issues, you should consider that to be pretty normal.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #78
Major Player

To me, the dual-system single system comes down to one thing: Redundancy. One little blip of static can ruin a shot unless you have a second audio source.

(In one particularly telling moment, my acting-DoP, who was really my PA, who was filling in for my REAL DoP who was arrested for terrorism - long story - actually forgot to turn on the microphone for a few minutes while recording. I'm damn glad the backup audio was running then!)

I record dual system when I can, but I always make sure to use the really good stuff on the camera if I have to choose between the two. I'd rather have a good audio track on the camera than have to sync in post.

I've recently become a convert to the XLR workflow - get a Juicedlink or Beachtek - I prefer the former for the preamp - and you should be fine.
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
For music I use the Apogee Duet to a Macbook Pro (Mac only):
Apogee Electronics: Products: Duet This has an A/D converter close in quality to their recording studio products.
Although Apogee has always made topnotch products, I still would recommend a Sony PCM D-50 for this kind of usage that we're talking about here.

-- peer
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #80
New Boot

does anyone know of a way to monitor mic levels BEFORE they get into the camera? I was thinking some type of small adapter that the mic could plug into before going to the mic input on the MK2?
Jason Linn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD