Does the focal length rule apply in video mode? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 30th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #16
Major Player

Yes, a ND filter is the solution. Although, it seems there isn't any solution for the focal length = shutter speed rule. Unless, the manual mode or twisted lens.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Back to the topic

Chris, how can you get ISO 800 with 1/50 shutter with EF lenses other than with the 50mm one?

Maybe it's all the same from 30th to 100th shutter but I'm loosing more light with 1.2 85mm than with 50mm 1.8 because the apparent focal length to shutter speed rule.

Rack focusing is also almost impossible with USM fulltime electronic manual focus that might be the case of 1.2 L only. Straight from the cam http://www.autonomicum.com/forums_up/MVI_0017_bela.MOV (hear the inconstancy of my hand turning the electronic focusing barrel).

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The risk is that the tape falls off and gums up your shutter or sensor. I taped a cheap lens - and now I have no idea where the tape ended up.

I like the mylar ring idea much better. Maybe some holes can be cut for power. The key is to find a way to keep it from rotating.
Tape or mylar. You are correct. The mylar ring idea is better.

Last edited by Mathieu Kassovitz; January 31st, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi View Post
Chris, how can you get ISO 800 with 1/50 shutter with EF lenses other than with the 50mm one?

Maybe it's all the same from 30th to 100th shutter but I'm loosing more light with 1.2 85mm than with 50mm 1.8 because the apparent focal length to shutter speed rule.

Rack focusing is also almost impossible with USM fulltime electronic manual focus that might be the case of 1.2 L only. Straight from the cam http://www.autonomicum.com/forums_up/MVI_0017_bela.MOV (hear the inconstancy of my hand turning the electronic focusing barrel).

T
I've been seeing 1/30th most of the time with my 85 1.2 II....
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 01:09 PM   #20
Major Player

There is who has mentioned the focal length = auto shutter speed rule is misleading because it applies only for taking pictures during video recording. Is that so?

Manual Control. The Truth !

Shutter, Aperture, ISO-Display: Are they all wrong?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD