Canon 28-135mm for general video use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 13th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 28-135mm for general video use?

I know that the Canon 28-135mm Zoom does not get the same respect as the Canon 24-105 Zoom. But the price difference it huge! The former can be had refurbished for about $280 while the later costs around $1000. Here are my questions: 1) for general VIDEO use, will there be much of a picture quality difference between these two lenses 2) Is the IS on the 28-135 significantly inferior to the 24-105 lens (and is it much noisier), 3) for VIDEO use, what are the benefit of using the 24-105 over the cheaper 28-135?

Thanks in advance...
David Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Buy the best lens you can afford. What you see is mostly the lens... For knock-around video the non-L should be fine IS is nice. But That f4 (even though it's an F4) is tack-sharp across the zoom range and has very nice color/contrast (my opinion). Might mention that I've been a fast-lens junkie with my mini-35 for a Loooong time. So to compliment an F4 is a big step for me.

All that said, I can't afford it. I'm shooting Leitz and Nikkor for video and not getting too jacked on coffee instead of getting the IS lenses. That or using the flippin tripod.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I tried the 28-135 with video and it was useless. The zoom ring was sticky, which I never really noticed with stills, but zooming in video has obvious jerks.

Also, it is a varifocal lens, so even if you disable the electronics, it switches the shutter when zooming. So you are forced to use f5.6 for all zoom shots which sucks if you want to edit it next to a f3.5 shot.

Oh, when I discovered this I sent it to Irvine and had it refurbished, which changed nothing, and wasted my $113.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #4
Wrangler

Also, even though the 4mm difference in the wide end doesn't look like much, that's huge for any indoor or tight scenes.
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Wrangler

A question on the 24-105 L IS, This is not a parfocal lens, correct? (I know the 28-135 isn't).

Thanks
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
A question on the 24-105 L IS, This is not a parfocal lens, correct? (I know the 28-135 isn't).

Thanks
The 24-105 L IS is parfocal. If its name has only one f-stop number then it is parfocal.

I just sold my 28-135 and bought a 24-105. I could kick myself for not getting the kit but I thought the 28-135 would be good enough. I only wasted $100 though. (Well $213 counting the wasted 28-135 refurb).
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
The 24-105 L IS is parfocal. If its name has only one f-stop number then it is parfocal.
Thanks! I had read through a list of Canon parfocal lenses and didn't see it listed, so assumed it wasn't.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD